Two questions...wing clipping and jumping, oh and...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoORchick73, May 17, 2011.

1. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    our chick pecked my 3 year old sons eye... right after i posted about that the other day.[​IMG]

how young is too young to clip their wings?

how high can a fully grown hen jump that has clipped wings? i plan on clipping their wings but our side yard has only a 4.5 foot fence and i dont want them getting into the grouchy old ladys yard next door....shed probably trap them and try to sue us, shes ridiculous.

thanks....

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I imagine most breeds could go over a 4.5 foot fence even with clipped wings.

3. steve&kris

steve&kris Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I don't know what kind of fence you have, but is it possible to either run a wire 6 inches above just to dissuade their jump, or possible extend the posts and run a 6" or a foot of chicken wire, or even black deer netting above it. I agree a 4.5' fence isn't tall enough, but depending on the breed (big non-flighty breeds like orpingtons or australorps) a slightly taller fence would have a much better effect. Clipped wings aren't going to make that much difference for hopping, it's more to stop flight. I bought big non flighty birds for a similar reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by