Two questions

BradyK

Chirping
Jan 15, 2016
This is new to me and is an amaing experience for my daughter and I. We have really tried hard to do our research. but have had a couple of errors. I don't think they are major but maybe.

My husband set up our mini advance Brinsea for the first time for our six eggs. (received via organic poultry farm in our town)

First question. Does setting the eggs in the incubator prior to it being ideal temp affect hatch day or hatch time?

The eggs were placed in the incubator and then the brought up to temp. We read after the fact that the incubator should have been at temp and then the eggs placed.

All six eggs were candled at first candling and one discarded. Did not develop.

The remaining five have looked perfect all the way up to last candling on day 16. The eggs appeared almost full and all five had movement inside. The air pockets on all five looked to be perfect size.

Today marks day 21 and as instructed on day 19 the turning wheel stopped and was removed. The non slip pad in place and water bin filled in the center. We have not touched or moved the eggs nor lifted the lid since.

Second question. Today the Brinsea turned to a zero 0 at 11:00 am... That means day 21. So far no pipping. Nothing.

I am worried that initially placing the eggs in the machine before it was full temp might have delayed the hatch.. When should I worry?

Sorry so long I am just a worrier. My husband also set the eggs to turn every 45 minutes 1/4 turn and we hope that isn't a problem even thought the egg development looked on target as per candling.
Any advice you have would be so appreciated. My father has chickens on his farm and these babies will join the gang if we do well.

This is new to me and is an amaing experience for my daughter and I. We have really tried hard to do our research. but have had a couple of errors. I don't think they are major but maybe.

My husband set up our mini advance Brinsea for the first time for our six eggs. (received via organic poultry farm in our town)

First question. Does setting the eggs in the incubator prior to it being ideal temp affect hatch day or hatch time?

The eggs were placed in the incubator and then the brought up to temp. We read after the fact that the incubator should have been at temp and then the eggs placed.

All six eggs were candled at first candling and one discarded. Did not develop.

The remaining five have looked perfect all the way up to last candling on day 16. The eggs appeared almost full and all five had movement inside. The air pockets on all five looked to be perfect size.

Today marks day 21 and as instructed on day 19 the turning wheel stopped and was removed. The non slip pad in place and water bin filled in the center. We have not touched or moved the eggs nor lifted the lid since.

Second question. Today the Brinsea turned to a zero 0 at 11:00 am... That means day 21. So far no pipping. Nothing.

I am worried that initially placing the eggs in the machine before it was full temp might have delayed the hatch.. When should I worry?
it
Sorry so long I am just a worrier. My husband also set the eggs to turn every 45 minutes 1/4 turn and we hope that isn't a problem even thought the egg development looked on target as per candling.
Any advice you have would be so appreciated. My father has chickens on his farm and these babies will join the gang if we do well.
it will delay the hatch a bit yes..... also are you sure you calibrated the machine? you need to use more than one thermometer hygrometer and calibrate them, never go with the machines thermo hygros!! unless you calibrated them.
WHY YOU SHOULD CALIBRATE and link to HOW: post #545 also see calibration in Hatching Eggs 101 TEMPS SECTION
EASY Calibration post #19746 bottom of post #20480
AcuRite customer support and thermo manuals post #27294
how to calibrate STICK type FOOD Thermometers post #27294
Thermo/Hygro Try to find one that has high low readings post #10961
ALWAYS run your bator a few days first for temp swings post #9129
Humidity is NOT a set number! Its a tool to get the correct weight loss in the egg! post #8924 see Hatching Eggs 101

see if anything in our notes section can help you out.......

I have pulled extremely helpful NOTES, LINKS &

Informational Post Links from our incubation thread

for EVERYONE'S convenience and will continue to put them HERE:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links

your welcome to join us, you will get help quicker, just jump on and post what you need answered despite our chatter!
INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come hatch, learn, Chat, Meet new Friends!

Quote:
highfive.gif

Well thank you guys so much for the quick response.

When I called Brinsea to purchase the mini advance in December for a Christmas gift.,they said it is tested and calibrated out of the factory and that is in Titusville Florida. I am in Saint Pete. They said calibration steps will be needed when I use it again but not for the first time. I live and learn ugg.

They also said humidity in the mini advance is fairly easy if I partially add some water to one side of the cup and plot my weight loss. My weight loss was perfect according to the book They told me I was to fill the water cup to full with the chick guard on of course two days prior to hatch.

So maybe I should have gone through calibration prior to my first incubation regardless of what they said?

I want to thank you so much for all of this information. I will read all of it. I am with this and I can't believe I found you all. What a helpful place this is. I appreciate the help more than you know

I am prepared for the hatch with my eco brooder and safe area for the chicks but will be reading info from here like crazy.

There are some chicken geniuses on here like Sally. I'm not one of them but I thank God for the wonderful people on here. Be careful. Byc is addictive lol.

Well thank you guys so much for the quick response.

When I called Brinsea to purchase the mini advance in December for a Christmas gift.,they said it is tested and calibrated out of the factory and that is in Titusville Florida. I am in Saint Pete. They said calibration steps will be needed when I use it again but not for the first time. I live and learn ugg.

They also said humidity in the mini advance is fairly easy if I partially add some water to one side of the cup and plot my weight loss. My weight loss was perfect according to the book They told me I was to fill the water cup to full with the chick guard on of course two days prior to hatch.

So maybe I should have gone through calibration prior to my first incubation regardless of what they said?

I want to thank you so much for all of this information. I will read all of it. I am with this and I can't believe I found you all. What a helpful place this is. I appreciate the help more than you know

I am prepared for the hatch with my eco brooder and safe area for the chicks but will be reading info from here like crazy.

yes always calibrate never trust anything or anyone! lol!! like I said feel free to join us on the thread, it gets really busy at times, but you can jump on and off as you wish!!

Back
Top Bottom