1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two questions:

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Big dreams, May 18, 2009.

1. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Ok, my chickens are now 12 weeks old, they are out in their coop, they will go in on their own in the evening as long as I have a light on inside, most of them get up on the roost but some still sleep on the floor, do you think they always will, or as they get older will they get up where they belong! Also, I have their nesting boxes covered (so they can't sleep in them) when should I uncover them, when they are about 18 weeks old or wait until I think they are ready to lay?

Oh, thank you much.[​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are used to their sleeping area, they should return there each night. Of course there are sometimes exceptions.

Most chicks will progress to the roost as a normal maturing, however, I have a cock, 2 years old, that has never flown to a roost. He`s the exception and I have for some time doubted his sanity.

Eighteen weeks is probably a good enough time, but if you have a problem, you might want to cover them until the pullets start getting pinkish faces, as a sign of maturing......Pop

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens were slow to roost, too, and even now they prefer a platform to a roost, which I have given them.

4. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    [​IMG] My baby chickens were like that too when I got them settled outside. I left the light on day & night until they were around 3 full months old, this way gave them plenty of time to adjust to their new home & feel safe. When I did finally turn the light out for good their instinct kicked in and told them to get in and settled before dark & they are almost 4 months old and doing just fine!
    Now for the nesting box question I am unsure how to answer that because mine are in a grow up pen without the nesting box's they will get moved to the adult pen at the end of June when they reach point of lay. There will be someone here who can answer! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by