Two roos fighting (new and scary)

rabsabq

Songster
6 Years
Feb 25, 2017
New Mexico
The new sex links (6 hens) have been living in the coop with the Silkies (6 hends, two roos) (but not the run) with only some rabbit fencing separating them. This has worked beautifully so this morning we took away the fence and introduced the newbies to the run. Absolutely not a peep out of anyone. BUT...

Tonight, my two Silkie roos are fighting like mad. It's so bad, I've put everyone else into the coop and closed the door so there is no collateral damage. They've never gone at it like this and, frankly, it's terrifying. Feathers all poofed around necks and a creepy-silent battle. Do I let them do their thing or separate them or what??

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated, I'm just sick with worry.

EDIT: While I was typing this, the husband let one of the roos in the coop and locked the other out. I've taken that one and put him in quarantine. Unable to look at Pete, the brown one, but Moe (all white) is covered in blood. Going to bathe him tomorrow and tend to wounds and isolate Pete as well.

What happens next? I have no idea what to do.

The new sex links (6 hens) have been living in the coop with the Silkies (6 hends, two roos) (but not the run) with only some rabbit fencing separating them. This has worked beautifully so this morning we took away the fence and introduced the newbies to the run. Absolutely not a peep out of anyone. BUT...

Tonight, my two Silkie roos are fighting like mad. It's so bad, I've put everyone else into the coop and closed the door so there is no collateral damage. They've never gone at it like this and, frankly, it's terrifying. Feathers all poofed around necks and a creepy-silent battle. Do I let them do their thing or separate them or what??

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated, I'm just sick with worry.

EDIT: While I was typing this, the husband let one of the roos in the coop and locked the other out. I've taken that one and put him in quarantine. Unable to look at Pete, the brown one, but Moe (all white) is covered in blood. Going to bathe him tomorrow and tend to wounds and isolate Pete as well.

What happens next? I have no idea what to do.

Get rid of one of them is the best thing to do or just keep them separated the rest of their life.

Back
Top Bottom