Two Roosters One Hen, Need advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupcakeluvr, Sep 10, 2016.

1. cupcakeluvr

cupcakeluvr New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Hi, I have two silkie roosters and one silkie hen all living together. One rooster was obviously a rooster early on so I thought I had two hens and a roo. Then this morning I heard two silkies crowing instead of one. They are about 4 months old. I know I need to get rid of one roo and probably get a few more hens around the same age, but I'm almost scared to keep one roo due to how badly the hens get beaten up. I really don't know what to do and I know I'll need to do something soon before the roos start fighting or my hen gets killed from too much rough housing. Help?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    If you have more then at least 5 hens,the hens shouldn't get beaten up.You could make a "bachelor pen".Keep one set of hens with one roo,and let the other one have his own set too,or you could just keep both roo's in one bachelor pen.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Best advise is to do what feels right for you and the size of your flock....The Roosters will not change for the better....They usually get more aggressive....

One Rooster will breed every hen numerous times a day....If you want bare backs and bald necks on your hens? Keep a Rooster...Never mind him possibly attacking you too....Research Roosters....First time Chicken owner?? Enjoy the hens without the hassle of a Rooster....

I never kept one this year....Been attacked too many times...

Enjoy....

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Sounds to me like you know what you need to do. You should get rid of both roosters. Replace them with a few nice hens and have a quiet, happy flock.

2 people like this.
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

^^^^This.
    Unless you plan on breeding and raising your own silkies, you really don't need a rooster.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    ^^^ Donrae's post

X's 3

7. chickens really

?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  8. chickens really

I just read a post where one poster here was asking the same question In their own thread..If you can not help? Do not try too... .....People ask questions to get real honest answers...BYC does not have to mean BYC KEEPERS....
    Sorry if I hurt any ones feelings......I try to help the best I can.....

Cheers

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto donrae and bobbi-j.

10. autumnlchick

autumnlchick Just Hatched

Sep 11, 2016
    Awww, roosters need love to! If u want a small number of chickens, keep one roo and get a couple more hens. If you got the room make a man coop, or get more hens ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by