Two Roosters One Hen, Need advice

cupcakeluvr

Hatching
Sep 10, 2016
Hi, I have two silkie roosters and one silkie hen all living together. One rooster was obviously a rooster early on so I thought I had two hens and a roo. Then this morning I heard two silkies crowing instead of one. They are about 4 months old. I know I need to get rid of one roo and probably get a few more hens around the same age, but I'm almost scared to keep one roo due to how badly the hens get beaten up. I really don't know what to do and I know I'll need to do something soon before the roos start fighting or my hen gets killed from too much rough housing. Help?

If you have more then at least 5 hens,the hens shouldn't get beaten up.You could make a "bachelor pen".Keep one set of hens with one roo,and let the other one have his own set too,or you could just keep both roo's in one bachelor pen.

Best advise is to do what feels right for you and the size of your flock....The Roosters will not change for the better....They usually get more aggressive....

One Rooster will breed every hen numerous times a day....If you want bare backs and bald necks on your hens? Keep a Rooster...Never mind him possibly attacking you too....Research Roosters....First time Chicken owner?? Enjoy the hens without the hassle of a Rooster....

I never kept one this year....Been attacked too many times...

Enjoy....

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds to me like you know what you need to do. You should get rid of both roosters. Replace them with a few nice hens and have a quiet, happy flock.

:welcome

Sounds to me like you know what you need to do. You should get rid of both roosters. Replace them with a few nice hens and have a quiet, happy flock. 

^^^^This.
Unless you plan on breeding and raising your own silkies, you really don't need a rooster.

Last edited:
I just read a post where one poster here was asking the same question In their own thread..If you can not help? Do not try too... .....People ask questions to get real honest answers...BYC does not have to mean BYC KEEPERS....
Sorry if I hurt any ones feelings......I try to help the best I can.....

Cheers

Awww, roosters need love to! If u want a small number of chickens, keep one roo and get a couple more hens. If you got the room make a man coop, or get more hens ;-)

Back
Top Bottom