Two separate areas?

Mallory

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Walbridge, Ohio
Okay. If I wanted to get some layers and a rooster for eggs and possibly (hopefully) chicks, and also got some broilers, (say a total of 12, 5 hens, 1 rooster, and 6 meat birds) would I need to separate them? They can't both eat the same things, right? And if I got Meatie Roosters, I wouldn't want them to breed with one of my layers, right? Since the broiler/meatie wouldn't give the chicks any good genes, they'd be likely to die early like him?

I really want some broilers, but I only want one tractor. I probably need to pick one or the other, huh?

well I am doing 2 separate areas one for meaties and another for layers, but I will be honest I know someone personally who keeps all of her birds together and they all eat and free range together, the only difference is that she places bands on her meaties. but on that token she had dual purpose birds.

but I do think food for broilers has a higher protein content than for layers, I could be wrong though but I am almost certain I read that somewhere on BYC.

the reason I am doing 2 separate areas is 1 I have the room and 2 its just easier for me to keep them separated. Once the meaties are processed I plan on using the empty housing for broodies. :)

I am sure you will get plenty of opinions, your best bet is to follow your gut and do what makes you happy. frankly I wouldn't worry about the roo mating them too much after all you plan on processing them.

Ema

You probably won't have to worry about a meatie roo and your layer hens, as the meaties will be gone before they reach maturity. You might find your rooster (if he's old enough) pestering the pullet meaties. Meatbird rations have too much protein for layers. But is it possible in your setup to find a way to give the meaties some high protein feed on the side? They are usually quick to gulp down whatever you offer, so it wouldn't take long to feed them if you can do it without feeding it the layers. Maybe distract the layers with some fresh veggies or something?

Mallory -- For the past two years I have been raising my Cornish Xs right alongside my laying pullets with no problem. I feed them both the same thing. Starting out it is 24% protein turkey starter (for the meat birds, but they both eat it) and then at a around 5 weeks I switch to 20% protein. Some people strictly feed them 20% from the get go. My meaties and layers do start free ranging at about 5 weeks and do have access to a run at about 3-4 weeks. I raise my meat birds to about 9-11 weeks of age before processing. I have never had any issues with raising them this way. My layers grow up to be healthy productive birds.

Your meatie roos won't bother your layers. They never reach the age of maturity in a roo. The meaties are more docile than the layers, too.

Last edited:
Thank you for each of your input. Helps me round things out my own way.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom