Two shell-less eggs in two days after molt - normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MarieNC, Oct 27, 2011.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Dora the Explorer just finished her molt and has started to lay again but she has had two eggs without shells in two days. I see one occcasionally from the girls but not two in a row. I supplement with oyster shells and they get yogurt and whatnot so she's getting enough calcium. Any thoughts?

2. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have no idea, but I had two days in a row of having a soft or shell-less eggs in the poop tray and then things went back to normal the next day and have been fine ever since. Mine haven't moulted yet either.

Maybe it's just one of those things?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's normal - just the egg factory starting back up. Some of my hens laid a few soft shelled eggs when they started back up.

Love the names kids come up with! [​IMG] We had a Chicken Little (hawk got her) and have now a Red, Bullet, Dusty, Olive, Marshmallow courtesy of the kids naming them.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

ok. so what is wrong with my production reds (who are responsible for the thin shelled eggs, my br's eggs have strong shells) is that they are continuing to produce eggs DURING their molt. Feeding, feeding and more feeding. They do like their half a cup of yogurt with their Layena...

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  6. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 production reds, they were chicks when I got them March 4 2009, and does this mean they will lay thin-shelled eggs for the rest of their lives? It started around July of this year, so maybe they were 15 months old. I cut out treats (initially noticed that when they had an oatmeal treat the shells would be thin the next day), they are on Layena, offered oystershell calcium, changed treats to Dannon Plain yogurt with crushed eggshells in it and Layena on top, served in a watermelon bowl, got desperate last week and put oystershell calcium in their waterer with 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar. I have a busted egg that had almost no shell at least 3 times a week. The calcium in the waterer seemed to help initially, but maybe the vinegar wore off, because I had a busted egg yesterday with a paper thin shell, and one the day before. (I was going to get the oystershell calcium out of the waterer, but the great greenhouse project ate my last couple of days up)

I bought 5 Americauna chicks last weekend, keeping them quarantined, in the house at night, in the greenhouse in the daytime. I only eat 3 eggs a day, thought I had enough hens to keep me in eggs. Guess not.

Is this normal for Production Reds? Is there more I can or should do? I think I crushed up a calcium citrate and mixed it in their yogurt one day. I don't normally take tums.

Gypsi [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by