Two shorthaired Pointers got 10 of our chickens

meanmom

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
Hi,
I have been reading all the archives on dog attacks and I am now horrified that I can sympathize 1st hand. Our attack took place this afternoon in bright sunshine while we were all in the house. We heard the commotion and ran out screaming at the 2 dogs. They ran off and now we are searching for the owner. It was a slaughter. Feathers everywhere with necks and chests ripped open. It seems so surreal since we have had NO predator problems ever. My question is--now what? These chickens were free range--literally. It was cold today, so most just hung out in and around the open coop. How can I possibly let them out to roam after this happened? Aside from losing our favorites that we hatched ourselves, it is so disturbing not to feel comfortable on your own land. Not to be able to trust that the livestock, pets and children will be safe--even in the middle of the day! Am I looking at a total change in lifestyle? How can we ever possibly free-range ANY chickens after this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, today was the day that we got our first 7 eggs--our chickens picked today to start laying for us! Wonder how long it will be before we see another egg. The rest seem pretty traumatized.

Take care, Lee
SE Wisconsin

That is horrible. I think we all tend to see a problem after the fact. It's unfortunate that every living thing out there views our pet chickens as dinner.
I guess you will need some fencing, or a big run. Mine have a big run, and half an hour before dusk, I let them out to roam, as it gets dark, they are all looking for the coop and their roost.

That is so terrible. Something like that happened to us about a year ago. Makes you feel sick to your stomach. We bolstered up our fences. Both the ones surrounding our property and the one around the chicken run.
We still run a risk of some thing getting into our yard and getting the chickens, but we feel better knowing we replaced the falling down fence, and repaired loose boards. We also limit the time our chickens are aout of their run.
So sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry about your birds. Unfortunately, we ourselves have to fence out the predators as much as possible and dispatch the ones that get inside the perimeter in spite of our efforts. I am almost done fencing part of our acreage. I know it isn't perfect and a dog could dig under, but at least they'll have to make an effort and cant just trot across the place and grab my chickens as they go. Even though it burns me up that people let their dogs run loose, they will do it no matter what and I'll have to be the one to deal with the dogs in my own way-fencing them out if possible, then stronger methods if they get inside.

I feel your pain. I lost 6 3 weeks ago, read my post under Need Consoling. Sad thing is, I did not see what did it. It was over night. But know your feelings 4.5 years, my chickens free ranged and never a problem. Since the attack, I only let them out to free range when I am going to be home and can keep an eye / ear on them.

Sorry for you lose. Use this as an opportunity to try a new breed or something to take your mind off of it.

We've only had problems with raccoons but a friend is always getting hit by the neighbor's dogs. It is to the point now that the next time the dogs will be killed because the idiot neighbors refuse to believe their dogs are doing it so they don't do anything about it. These same people raise/own race horses. What do you think they'd do if Fido was chasing after one of them. But hey, they don't hurt the horses - just chickens and afterall, they are just chickens...

I'm concerned about our chickens. Our neighbors raise border collies in an old feedlot. Poor dogs are chained out there year round. They sit on the wall watching our chickens. I hope a chain never breaks, I know those dogs will jump the two fences between their yard and ours. AND those fences were put up to keep the cattle that used to jump the first wall and run on our property. I have a feeling that nothing would keep those poor dogs away from a chickens if they are given a chance.

It is time for my two friends to do their job, you can call on them too. They are Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. After that put up an electric fence. That should keep an others out.

Back
Top Bottom