Two Sick Chicks

Your chicks might be suffering from Vitamin D3 deficiency. At 4 weeks old and living inside, have they already been exposed to natural sunlight? Or did you supplement their water with containing additives vitamin D?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6269271/
They have not yet been outside and we are not giving them D3 supplements. I will read the posted link. Is there special Vitamin D3 for chicks?

Okay. I realized that the ‘wheezing’ was actually me getting Pedialite up her nose when I was feeding her with a dropper. She stopped once I figured that out. 😏
Glad you figured that out.

Can you get photos of her poop?

If you are feeding a commercial chick starter like Purina, it should have D3 already added to the feed, but if you aren't dealing with Coccidiosis, then giving vitamins for a few days shouldn't hurt anything.

At their age, it's best to go ahead and get them outside and acclimated though. If you are in the US, depends on what state - fall and cooler weather is fast approaching.

Put some Rooster Booster in their water. Do it for
a couple or three weeks. You might also have some
old feed that has depleted vitamins.
Well our girl is doing better this morning. We are taking all of them outside for some sunshine. I did get something at the feed store yesterday to put in their water. It is electrolytes plus vitamins. Thank you!

Glad you figured that out.

Can you get photos of her poop?

If you are feeding a commercial chick starter like Purina, it should have D3 already added to the feed, but if you aren't dealing with Coccidiosis, then giving vitamins for a few days shouldn't hurt anything.

At their age, it's best to go ahead and get them outside and acclimated though. If you are in the US, depends on what state - fall and cooler weather is fast approaching.
Shoot! We cleaned out her area but her poop was very normal. Nice brownish poo and not runny at all. A decent amount of white on it. We are in Arizona so it is nice in the mornings...not too hot and they are outside as I type. Thank you for the info. We are giving them water with vitamins in it now.

Shoot! We cleaned out her area but her poop was very normal. Nice brownish poo and not runny at all. A decent amount of white on it. We are in Arizona so it is nice in the mornings...not too hot and they are outside as I type. Thank you for the info. We are giving them water with vitamins in it now.
Sounds good!
I'm glad she's doing better. Getting outside will be a nice break for them:)

Back
Top Bottom