Two sneezing baby chicks, help!

Norcalexplorer

Songster
Sep 3, 2019
Northern California
I just saw 2 of my baby chicks sneezing this afternoon. No other symptoms though. Is this the first sign of a respiratory issue? Should I separate the two that I have noticed that have been sneezing a little. Thank you for your help. I’d be devastated if anything happened to them.
Nope can’t separate them they lost their minds being away from the other part of the flock. I’m going to put some vetRx in their water. Anything else I should or could do?? Thank you!

What kind of bedding are u using? Any other symptoms going on?how old are they? Sometimes they sneeze a little.
Hi, thank you for replying! I use pine bedding and change it daily bc they are growing up with two ducks. They are 3 1/2 weeks old and no other symptoms other than some runny poo here and there. I noticed from one of them at least during play time outside today. It’s two of my best girls too that are sneezing. Nothing crazy yet but just want to know if and what are the steps to take. Thank you again!!

Is their poo normal runny as of drinking a lot or weird runny as in they may need corid. Being they are with ducks are the ducks older at around the same age.
Well one looked kind of orange and softly formed today while outside during play time. The ducks are 2 1/2 weeks old. Thank you for your response and knowledge!
I’m watching them and they’re eating and drinking well. But over a 10 min period my girl halo sneezed about 6x in about 2 mins then nothing again. She’s drinking and eating now. Oh and what does corid do?

I use pine bedding and change it daily bc they are growing up with two ducks
A couple problems here.
1) NEVER brood chicks and ducks together. Ducks soak everything which creates the perfect environment for bacteria that chicks then ingest. Just don't do it.
2) Pine shavings are known to have a strong scent, resulting in off gassing. These fumes can make a chick sneeze/be bothersome to their respiratory system. I recommend taking out enough shavings for a bedding change and spreading them out to off gas for a day.
3) pine shavings can be dusty. Dust makes chicks sneeze. Changing the bedding daily keeps bringing in more dust. Shoot to change bedding once weekly. Maybe twice weekly. Or remove chicks when changing bedding to avoid stirring dust in their faces.

Hopes this helps.

A couple problems here.
1) NEVER brood chicks and ducks together. Ducks soak everything which creates the perfect environment for bacteria that chicks then ingest. Just don't do it.
2) Pine shavings are known to have a strong scent, resulting in off gassing. These fumes can make a chick sneeze/be bothersome to their respiratory system. I recommend taking out enough shavings for a bedding change and spreading them out to off gas for a day.
3) pine shavings can be dusty. Dust makes chicks sneeze. Changing the bedding daily keeps bringing in more dust. Shoot to change bedding once weekly. Maybe twice weekly. Or remove chicks when changing bedding to avoid stirring dust in their faces.

Hopes this helps.
Thank you for answering. I do put down some fresh bedding over the wet areas each time they’re in their transport box from outside to in 2x a day after their baby pen play time in the yard everyday.
I already attempted to split them up but the birds that could fly would fly out of their brood for the ducks.
We’re going to have to go back out tomorrow and find something taller to keep the chicks in their own container.
Thank you so much for sharing, I just want my loves to be healthy and happy!
Oh and I already sprayed them with vetRX and put it in their water. I’m praying the sneezing stops!

Back
Top Bottom