Two soft shell eggs stuck together

LittleMissCountry

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 30, 2018
Okay, is this normal or is something wrong with my poor chicken? She just laid her first egg on Friday. It was small and had a nice thick shell. She did not lay an egg Saturday or yesterday. This morning when I went out at 6 a.m. to open the coop and bring them food, I found a softshell egg under their roosting bars. There was another broken softshell egg next to it. At first I thought two different chickens, but then noticed that the intact one had part of the other one's membrane stuck to it
They are getting starter/grower feed, with a free choice dish of oyster shell.
It was still too dark for me to see much of the broken egg in the coop. I brought the shells back in.

Attachments

• 20180625_062754.jpg
    20180625_062754.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20180625_062807.jpg
    20180625_062807.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Probably just a new layer glitch, not unusual.
Tho the 2 stuck together is not common.
2 eggs traveled down the pike and didn't get shelled properly.

Are they eating the oyster shell?
Sometimes it can help to sprinkle a few pieces of it on the surface of the feed.....
...and/or sprinkle some scratch grains on the surface of the oyster shell.

Probably just a new layer glitch, not unusual.
Tho the 2 stuck together is not common.
2 eggs traveled down the pike and didn't get shelled properly.

Are they eating the oyster shell?
Sometimes it can help to sprinkle a few pieces of it on the surface of the feed.....
...and/or sprinkle some scratch grains on the surface of the oyster shell.
They do eat the oyster shell. I have seen the only one that has laid so far eating it. I will try scattering it also, though and putting scratch on top.

The two eggs at once worried me. I know soft shell is normal for new layers, but hopefully she won't have reproductive issues. Couldn't that be disastrous if it happens and both get shelled? Or would they even form the shell if there are two at once?
Sorry, new to this whole thing, but I haven't found anything in my research about two eggs at once.

They do eat the oyster shell. I have seen the only one that has laid so far eating it. I will try scattering it also, though and putting scratch on top.
That's good, no need to spread it around, she will 'teach' the others when the time comes.

Or would they even form the shell if there are two at once?
That likely was the problem.
It can take up to a month or so for the new egg machine to get tuned up.
I wouldn't worry yet, just be observant.
What breed is she?

Are you sure it's the same pullet that layed a couple of days ago?
When my second pullet started laying she made 1 soft egg shell and 1 shell less egg at the same time from the roost bar and of course the soft shell broke.
I knew it wasn't the one who had started laying 2 weeks earlier because of the colour of the egg.

After that first time laying, the pullet has been laying normal eggs and in the nest boxes.

Are you sure it's the same pullet that layed a couple of days ago?
When my second pullet started laying she made 1 soft egg shell and 1 shell less egg at the same time from the roost bar and of course the soft shell broke.
I knew it wasn't the one who had started laying 2 weeks earlier because of the colour of the egg.

After that first time laying, the pullet has been laying normal eggs and in the nest boxes.

I am not 100% sure, but it was where she usually roosts. The other black sex link has been scratching around the nesting box as well, but she usually sleeps on the far back roost. It could possibly be one of the buff orps, who looks ready to lay, but she hasn't shown a lot of interest in the nesting box, or started squatting. The other buff orp doesn't even have her wattles and comb yet, so I know it isn't her.

Back
Top Bottom