Two strange soft eggs

Maplerunchickens

Chirping
Nov 11, 2020
Southern New York
Two of my girls laid strange eggs today. The dark one is soft and the other is harder with a soft spot . It looks so strange. They have 16 percent protein layer feed, oyster shells and grit available at all times. The dark egg was laid only about 18 -20 hours after that chicken laid her second egg ever.

Lighter egg is a Silkie darker is cuckoo marans. Silkie has been laying for a month without issues. Any ideas why this is happening? We did just get a really cold spell in the last 2 days.

Attachments

• 3B46274A-E031-40CC-B931-084C709C7A99.jpeg
    3B46274A-E031-40CC-B931-084C709C7A99.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 7
  • A6625319-09D8-4842-9ED4-35B46A0B493C.jpeg
    A6625319-09D8-4842-9ED4-35B46A0B493C.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 6
The scratch and peck layer feed is whole grain soy free and corn free...

Organic Wheat, Organic Barley, Organic Peas, Organic Flaxseed Meal, Ground Limestone, Fish Meal, Organic Sesame Meal, Organic Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Premix
Might want to soak or ferment it, so the fines(vitamins/minerals/amino acids) get consumed rather than sink to the bottom.

One of these every few months is 100% normal for a coop, but two in one day is interesting. I am assuming they are very young layers? It could be that they both glitched on the same day or it could be that they had a fright. Put out a trail cam to see if they are having visitors at night...

One of these every few months is 100% normal for a coop, but two in one day is interesting. I am assuming they are very young layers? It could be that they both glitched on the same day or it could be that they had a fright. Put out a trail cam to see if they are having visitors at night...
I know! The same day thing is what gets me. I have a trail cam and didn’t see anything. Nothing got into their enclosure. (They have netting and chain link fencing around their hardware cloth enclosure and their wooden coop is inside that. 😂. They may have had a fright during the day that the cam didn’t catch... One egg was laid super early in the am- before I let them out for the day.

The scratch and peck layer feed is whole grain soy free and corn free...

Organic Wheat, Organic Barley, Organic Peas, Organic Flaxseed Meal, Ground Limestone, Fish Meal, Organic Sesame Meal, Organic Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Premix

Back
Top Bottom