Two suspect chicks..

AConk81

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
I have some teenager chicks ranging from about 9 weeks to 12 weeks. There's a few I'm almost certain are roosters, a few that I'm pretty sure are hens...and then there's these two who really have me guessing.

First up is this cochin...I'm assuming silver laced mixed with something else, I'm not sure what. She/he is about 11.5 weeks old.

The one in the front in both photos. At first I was almost sure it was a rooster..but then it just hasn't really reddened up any more in the last 3-4 weeks. I included a shot from the front and from behind if feathers help tell anything..

And the other one is a white EE. I have two that I've had since they were a few days old. The one started getting a comb early on and I'm almost certain he's a rooster. But, this other one I was thinking hen but now she's been pinking up too. This one is one of the younger ones...who is about 9 weeks old.

I have some teenager chicks ranging from about 9 weeks to 12 weeks. There's a few I'm almost certain are roosters, a few that I'm pretty sure are hens...and then there's these two who really have me guessing.

First up is this cochin...I'm assuming silver laced mixed with something else, I'm not sure what. She/he is about 11.5 weeks old.

The one in the front in both photos. At first I was almost sure it was a rooster..but then it just hasn't really reddened up any more in the last 3-4 weeks. I included a shot from the front and from behind if feathers help tell anything..

Judging by stance, feathering, and comb redness, I would say cockerel. But I'm not 100% sure of that.

And the other one is a white EE. I have two that I've had since they were a few days old. The one started getting a comb early on and I'm almost certain he's a rooster. But, this other one I was thinking hen but now she's been pinking up too. This one is one of the younger ones...who is about 9 weeks old.

A close-up of the back and tail area would help. But for 9 weeks old, that is a very red comb for a pullet.

Last edited:
I think I will firmly vote on the undecided side also. That cochin X "looks" like a male for 12 weeks, but doesn't really have enough comb/wattle development or rooster feathers to say for sure. The EE I am even more undecided on, it "looks" like a girl for 9 weeks, but I don't like to see any red on these to vote girl. btw, that naked neck in the second photo has the most adorable head.

Back
Top Bottom