1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two sweet silkies, but eating their own poop.yuck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red rosecomb, Oct 19, 2008.

1. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    i recently saved two white non bearded silkie chicks from a friend of mine who breeds silkies, who was going to cull them for their bad habit of eating thier own poop. i thought that they were just missing something in their diet so i started giving them vitamin supplements,fresh veggies, fresh fruit, store bought earthworms and a few calcium supplements. i tried everything in my power to stop them from eating their own poop by collecting the poop regularly but they even started eating thier own freshly pooped poop. i am wondering if this is what silkies do and if it is dangerous to their health? and if it is what other things can i do to stop them from eating their own poop?

please help I'm stressing here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dixie chicken

dixie chicken Out Of The Brooder

Hmmm. I have never seen or heard of this behavior before so don't know how much help I can be. But, I do have a lot of silkies and they do not eat their own poop. Makes me think that there is a mineral or trace element deficiency. Sounds like you have tried everything. Do they have access to dirt, clay type soil or grit?

3. red rosecomb

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    They have access to grit but they dont seem to be eating it. this is strange because i have never had a chicken that didnt eat grit [​IMG]

4. red rosecomb

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    if i decide to let these two silkies brood a few chicks, would this poop eating trait pass onto the chicks because these chickens keep going broody on the fertile silkie eggs i got from their previous owner. i wouldnt want to cull these chickens and their chicks because of poop eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by