Two week old chick with a shaking/ nerve issue

Juju2773

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
I’m hoping someone can give advice. My two week old chick has been very healthy and happy. Eating and drinking normally. No pasty butt, no strange poop. Seems normal., but just started this strange nerve type shake. Not the head, but the body. Almost like weak shaky legs? It has been three days now and it’s still doing it. It was just fine before. But started this 3 days ago. No changes. It’s not cold, and comes in and out from under the brooder plate regularly. It eats regularly. It seems perfectly healthy, but this nerve type shaking is not to be overlooked. I decided to treat all the chicks water with a cocci treatment and a vitamin & electrolyte with lacto bacillus the last 3 days... Just in case. Day three of treatment ... all chicks happy and healthy, but the little chick still has this same shaking in the body. I don’t have a video. Any advice from someone experiencing this behavior?

I don’t know if it could be the problem, but there is a virus called avian encephalomyelitis (AE) also called epidemic tremors that can affect chicks in the first few weeks of life. It causes tremors, a dull appearance, and eventually, the chick may end up on it’s side unable to get up. I would make sure the chick is getting plenty of fluids and food. Here is an article about AE, but I would explore other possible illnesses:
https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/content/avian-encephalomyelitis

I don’t know if it could be the problem, but there is a virus called avian encephalomyelitis (AE) also called epidemic tremors that can affect chicks in the first few weeks of life. It causes tremors, a dull appearance, and eventually, the chick may end up on it’s side unable to get up. I would make sure the chick is getting plenty of fluids and food. Here is an article about AE, but I would explore other possible illnesses:
https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/content/avian-encephalomyelitis
Hi, thanks for the response. I do feel after some time possibly this is what is wrong with her. But she doesn’t really shake her head, it’s almost like her back legs are very weak and she kind of bounces or shakes up and down. It’s been a little over two weeks now since it started. She has fallen over once or twice and a bit weak to get back on her feet without a little bit of assistance. I have her separated from the rest with a divider fence so they can still see her, but not step in her poop. I’m just wondering.. how long should I quarantine her? I read a small percentage can get over it. She eats and drinks well. She’s always been smaller than the others. None of the others seem affected.

Back
Top Bottom