Two wyandottes teaming up on new rooster

texas hiker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
East Texas
My two silver laced wyandottes are teaming up on my new rooster.

They work together to corner the rooster, then attack it.

They position themselves on the roost so the rooster can not get to the flock.

This does not seem to be pecking order behavior, at least to me, it looks more like bullying.

the two silver laced wyandottes were being so mean to the rooster in the yard that I had to remove both of them and put them out to free range.

After the wyandottes were out of the yard everything was fine. A couple of the rhode island red and barred rocks went over to the rooster to take a look, but they did not team up on the rooster like what the wyandottes.

Any suggestions?

How old are they? The new kid on the block always gets picked on. Give it time and a chance for them to work it out, without interfering too much unless blood is drawn.

How old are they? The new kid on the block always gets picked on. Give it time and a chance for them to work it out, without interfering too much unless blood is drawn.

The wyandottes are a year and a half old.

The rooster was given to my wife and I. The person who gave it to us did not know how old it is.

The rooster looks like a bantam as it is rather small.

I would, if possible, keep him in a pen near them where they can't get at him for a couple weeks, but can still see him until they get used to him. Then allow him in with them on a guarded basis for another couple weeks til you see that no real harm is being done.

I recently had to introduce a bantam hen to an established flock of full size birds and that's what I had to do.

Back
Top Bottom