Tying a dead chicken around their neck

My grandfather
old.gif
told me to whip the dog with the dead chicken.
smack.gif

I'm ashamed to say
hmm.png
I tried it with my 14 month old LabroPit. (Don't tell anyone.
duc.gif
) I couldn't get near him with the dead chicken after the first whack
tongue2.gif
It scared him to death and he took off running from me.
tongue2.gif
Don't know if it worked though.
idunno.gif
I don't let him out in the same area unless I am out there with him.
smile.png
I have seen him eye ball
ep.gif
them
D.gif
a few times since though so I tend to think if I wasn't there he would have a hay day!
barnie.gif

I have not tried the chicken around the neck, though I did chase one dog with a dead chicken, didn't work.

I have three dogs two of them wolves, all three were killing my neighbors chickens if they got in our yard. Even though the chickens crossed into our yard I felt terrible, this has been over a year ago. All three of my dogs do not attack our parrots that we have had for years, for some reason they just know better. So I started raising my own ducks and chickens to train them to leave the chickens alone. Two of the dogs this worked with little effort and quickly within 2 months. One was stubborn and became a house dog during the day and released of a night to patrol the yard. Well the last couple weeks I have noticed that the one trouble dog while walking on the leash was no longer lunging for the chickens, so I started walking him through the chickens within nose length with still no response. For the last couple days I have tied him up with about 15ft of chain for a hour at a time and left him alone. I watched from a window as chickens walked around him to investigate as they usually do. Not once did he lunge or make a attempt to attack and one laid down in the dirt beside him to dust bathe.

Dogs are intelligent it takes time to break bad habits, but they do understand they are part of a social order. Once they understand the chickens are part of this order or family they can be broken. If a 10 year old wolf can be broke from killing chickens most dogs should but it takes time.

Depends on the dog. My family tried this with our wolf-dog ripper when I was a child and all that was left by the time we got home was a chicken neck dangling from his collar. If it was up to him we would have tied a dead chicken to him every day! It did work with a shepherd/rhodesian mix we had later though. He was deeply ashamed to have to have the bird around his neck and he never bothered them again.

This is bologna. People think it might work because it sounds extreme and people did it back in the day because they didn't know better and if their dog happened to stop killing chickens, they would say it worked. It's more realistic to never trust your dogs and always keep an eye on them around chickens. I have a hound and a lab/poodle mix. They were all about chasing the chickens and pinning them down. But they eventually learned, through normal discipline, that they were not to do that. I never had a dead chicken to tie around their necks but I wouldn't do that anyway.

I agree with having to keep an eye on them and never fully trusting them. I'm always outside with mine when they freerange.

But that said I have used this method with both chicken killing and a boot stealing dog and it worked. I disiplined the dog with the dead chicken, rapped him on the nose several times with the dead chicken and tied it on his collar for several days till it finally fell off. The dog wanted nothing to do with the dead chicken or live ones after that.

My dog that would steal shoes was a different story. Every day she would steal shoes, socks, boot whatever she could drag off, luckily she didn't chew them, just wanted to sleep with them. Everthing she stole would go on her collar. She really struggled when she got a couple boots around her neck and she had to start walking sideways. A week like that and sore bruised legs from boots banging against them as she walked cured her. No boot strealing for several years now.

I would say its worth the try, just don't bet the farm on that solution and keep an eye on them when they are out freeranging.

Cory

Poodles are a highly intelligent breed of dog. Remember they were bred as a water retrieving breed (as in shoot a bird, dog goes in to fetch it). I would never, ever trust her with your chickens. It's not her fault, just the breed. I don't think that you can do anything outside of traumatizing her to keep her away from the chickens. Good Luck

I've never heard the part about tying it around their neck, but my mother told me to beat the dog with it as soon as it happens. I had rotty's at the time. (20+ yrs ago). If a chicken escaped from the run, it was in the dogs territory. My husband tried it, but I don't remember that it was successful. Those were not good dogs. I have a large dog now who was a stray. He lays inside the coop and watches the chickens. He only intereferes if the roos fight or if a hen is being bothered by a roo. He'll nudge them apart..bark or yip and then go lay back down.

I also have a silky terror who I know for certain would kill every one of them. I know I could beat him until he bled and it wouldn't phase him. He stays tied so I don't have to find out. That and he's been run over twice and still chases cars:(

Back
Top Bottom