Tylan 200 Injection Site Necrosis

beaglemaster

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2021
I gave my turkey 2 injections of Tylan 200 about 1 month ago but the injections sites have turned hard a black. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. Is there anything that I can do? Is this something that will eventually kill the bird?

Thanks for any advice

Jeff

I gave my turkey 2 injections of Tylan 200 about 1 month ago but the injections sites have turned hard a black. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. Is there anything that I can do? Is this something that will eventually kill the bird?

Thanks for any advice

Jeff
Were did you get the injection from?? What was your reasoning of using them??

Were did you get the injection from?? What was your reasoning of using them??
I gave the injections myself. She was going through a lot that started with prolapse vent and after that was corrected she stopped eating but continued to drink. After about a week of not eating, I thought that she might have an infection so I purchased the tylan 200 from Tractor supply and gave her 2 shots 48 hours apart. She still didn't eat and had to tube feed her for about a week. She finally started to show signs of improvement and now she is doing fine except for the two black spots on her breast where I gave the injections.

I gave the injections myself. She was going through a lot that started with prolapse vent and after that was corrected she stopped eating but continued to drink. After about a week of not eating, I thought that she might have an infection so I purchased the tylan 200 from Tractor supply and gave her 2 shots 48 hours apart. She still didn't eat and had to tube feed her for about a week. She finally started to show signs of improvement and now she is doing fine except for the two black spots on her breast where I gave the injections.
Oh this tough im not a vet expert!! If you have the time I would you suggest talking her to vet!! If not hopefully others reply to help you!

there are two spots but this is the worst one. It is about 1.5 inches from top to bottom

Attachments

• 20210302_111634.jpg
    20210302_111634.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 22
What dosage did you give her? Tylan 200 is 200 mg per ml. If you overdosed with the antibiotics it's possible the skin is dying from that. Did you give in the muscle or sub q?

This is an unfortunate issue with Tylan injectable in chickens. It can cause muscle necrosis when given IM. You'll have to debride the area until you get to healthy tissue and let it heal with time. Flush the wound with saline solution daily and apply plain triple antibiotic daily for seven days then re-evaluate. This type of necrosis can be especially aggressive and your hen may need to be euthanized if there is no improvement. A vet is your best bet to help your hen.

Back
Top Bottom