Tylan 50 dosage

On a scale of Sugar to Flour, with Sugar being 1 and Flour being 10, it's probably a 6? I dont know. Hmm... I'm going to just call the company tomorrow and ask them what the proper ratio is for smaller ammounts.

I just looked at the start of this thread and realized the initial question was in regards to Tylan 50 and I'm not sure if that's the same thing as Tylosin. I seem to recall reafing that it is, but to be sure I'm going to ask about that too!

On a scale of Sugar to Flour, with Sugar being 1 and Flour being 10, it's probably a 6? I dont know. Hmm... I'm going to just call the company tomorrow and ask them what the proper ratio is for smaller ammounts.

I just looked at the start of this thread and realized the initial question was in regards to Tylan 50 and I'm not sure if that's the same thing as Tylosin. I seem to recall reafing that it is, but to be sure I'm going to ask about that too!
Tylan 50 is the brand name for tylosin 50mg/ml injectable. There is also a tylosin powder called Tylan Soluble. For that they have mg per pound dosing instructions, but not teaspoons per gallon.
http://www.elanco.us/products-services/poultry/water-soluble-crd-control.aspx

-Kathy

@Bukbuk Betty
@Lacrystol
@Eggcessive
@ten chicks

I found out how much one teaspoon of Tylan Soluble Powder weighs.
big_smile.png
According to the veterinary formulary I have it weighs 2.5 to 2.7 grams, which means one teaspoon will have 2500 mg to 2700 mg of tylosin.

1/8 teaspoon = 312 mg to 337.5 mg tylosin.
1/4 teaspoon = 625 mg to 675 mg tylosin.
1/3 teaspoon = 833 mg to 900 mg tylosin.
1/2 teaspoon = 1250 mg to 1350 mg tylosin.

Picture from formulary:

http://www.elanco.us/products-services/poultry/water-soluble-crd-control.aspx
Always add the water to the powder. Do not pour the powder into the water. Prepare a fresh Tylan Soluble solution every three days.
RESIDUE WARNINGS: Chickens must not be slaughtered for food within 24 hours after treatment. Do not use in layers producing eggs for human consumption.
Turkeys must not be slaughtered for food within five days after treatment.
See label for complete safety and use information.
Chickens, NE indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for a single five-day period in broiler chickers. To assure all birds receive the intended medication, only medicated water should be available. These practices should be followed to assure both food safety and responsible antimicrobial drug use in chickens:
    1. Use in flocks exhibiting signs of a necrotic enteritis outbreak, for example, increased mortality and lesions characteristic of necrotic enteritis upon necropsy;
    2. Administer the full dose and dosing regimen once medication is initiated;
    3. Use of Tylan Soluble or another macrolide is not advised if additional therapy is needed beyond the original course of medication.
CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
Turkeys:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hi. I'm pretty new to the whole taking care of my chickens. Only 1 of them came down with mycoplasma or bacterial sinusitis. I bought tylan 50. I have 3ml syringe,10ml,20ml. I want to give it to her orally (I'd think it be better) how much do I give her. She's 4 months

Hi. I'm pretty new to the whole taking care of my chickens. Only 1 of them came down with mycoplasma or bacterial sinusitis. I bought tylan 50. I have 3ml syringe,10ml,20ml. I want to give it to her orally (I'd think it be better) how much do I give her. She's 4 months
Welcome to BYC! If you do like the mfg suggests with the powder in water, her dose would be 1/2 cc per *pound* orally twice a day. How much do you think she weighs?

Quote:
CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

Source:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps046
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hi omg thanks for responding so quickly I have the tylan 50 injectable sorry I didn't add that it's 50mg/ml

Last edited:
Hi omg thanks for responding so quickly I have the tylan 50 injectable sorry I didn't add that it's 50mg/ml
The injectable can be given orally, but will work best if given two or more times per day. How many time per day do you think you can give it?

-Kathy

Yes I could give it to her twice a day. she's weighing 2.57

Here's how I calculate the dose:

2.57 pounds x 25 mg per pound ÷ 50 mg per ml = 1.285 ml orally twice a day. I know it seems like a lot compared to what other posts on forums say, but I do believe this to be the correct dose.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom