Tylan 50 dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Missyktsm, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Gobbledygook

Gobbledygook Hatching

Mar 31, 2014
    Not so in the UK,but thanks any way I am sure you are correct about asking the vet,I. Just hope he will be as understanding about my lack of experience with it.
    Be we'll stay well Kathy

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

With Tylan Soluble Powder the dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water or 1/4 tsp per liter. The mixture is the same for any weight of chicken--they will drink the correct amount if they are still drinking normally.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

That is true if one puts it in the drinking water, but they don't want to do that, they want to do an oral drench to avoid medicating the whole flock, so an oral drench *does* require knowing how much the bird weighs.:D

The other option would be to separate the sick one and just medicate her water, then no weighing and no medicating healthy birds.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Does anyone know how many mg of tylosin are in a teaspoon of the powder?

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
  7. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    From what I know, it's 1/4 teaspoon equals 500mg but this can very. If you pack it tightly, it' could be more like 800 - 700 if packed lightly it could be 600-500 so that would be some factors to consider..

So teaspoon could be about 2000 like you said but consider some of those factors..

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I agree with Kathy, Separation is your best option..

9. casportpony

So if it is 2000 grams per teaspoon, one could put one teaspoon in 1 liter and then each 1 ml would have ~2mg tylosin, right? From what I read below, the goal is to get 50mg per 1 pound into your chicken, so a 5 pound chicken would get 250mg or 250ml of the concentrated water, which is way to much to give in one shot, but could be done three different times throughout the day.

Of course one could make a batch and use 500 ml water, then the amount to give would be 125ml, or they could use 250ml water and the oral dose would be 62.5ml.

I've just typed all the above and have not double checked my math, so if anyone sees any errors, please don't be shy! Gotta go get my coffee, lol.

http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1031017
    Directions for Use
    Chickens
    should be treated for three days; however, treatment may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
    Turkeys should be treated for three days; however, treatment may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

-Kathy

10. bax_attack

bax_attack In the Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Just posting to say that Tylan50 is fantastic. I have a silver laced wyandotte that has been rattling/wheezing for a couple of weeks. She has been other wise active and eating and drinking fine. I originally thought it might be a worm issue, and wormed her with no improvement. I just started her yesterday on a .75 ml/cc injection of Tylan 50 into the breast muscle. As of last night she was already wheezing and gurgling much less. I'll continue the injections for the next few days to insure it is wiped out, but it has already improved her so much. I was initially nervous about giving the injection, but it was a breeze. I laid her on her side, spread her feathers out to expose the skin over her breast muscle (beside her breast bone was the thickest part) and wiped her down with an alcohol swab. She didn't even flinch during the injection. This stuff is great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: