Tylan 50 dosage

Not so in the UK,but thanks any way I am sure you are correct about asking the vet,I. Just hope he will be as understanding about my lack of experience with it.
Be we'll stay well Kathy

Hi the chicken I am referring to Kathy is in with six other 's that torment her.she is our first and oldest an only chocolate Orpington so it is difficult to give it to her without the others getting dosed.
And I don't want that.
I want to use a plastic syringe to give it to her every morning.
I can't contact my vet as he gave us a 100 gram container so we could dose our own chickens,and the dosage has worn off the container and if we admit to not knowing what we have been doing with it he will not give us any more in the future if he thinks we have been abusing it.
This is not the case as we have been treating quite a few with this and just giving real small dose age .
But this little girl has been really struggling to breath and want to give her the spot on dosag.
The powder does not say tylan 50 or tylan 100 just tylan soluble by Elanco.
Any idea's

He also said when we contacted this vet that we should weigh the bird to calculate the dose.
What's that all about?
Again I am sure it sounds crazy that we can not ask him but you know how these vets can be,or is it just me getting paranoid,who knows.
The thing is that chickens are up and down like a roller coaster and it is great to have something at hand to treat them as soon as possible when we can not get or afford to go to them at every cough and sniffle with them.
With Tylan Soluble Powder the dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water or 1/4 tsp per liter. The mixture is the same for any weight of chicken--they will drink the correct amount if they are still drinking normally.

Hi the chicken I am referring to Kathy is in with six other 's that torment her.she is our first and oldest an only chocolate Orpington so it is difficult to give it to her without the others getting dosed.

And I don't want that.

I want to use a plastic syringe to give it to her every morning.

I can't contact my vet as he gave us a 100 gram container so we could dose our own chickens,and the dosage has worn off the container and if we admit to not knowing what we have been doing with it he will not give us any more in the future if he thinks we have been abusing it.

This is not the case as we have been treating quite a few with this and just giving real small dose age .

But this little girl has been really struggling to breath and want to give her the spot on dosag.

The powder does not say tylan 50 or tylan 100 just tylan soluble by Elanco.

Any idea's

He also said when we contacted this vet that we should weigh the bird to calculate the dose.

What's that all about?

Again I am sure it sounds crazy that we can not ask him but you know how these vets can be,or is it just me getting paranoid,who knows.

The thing is that chickens are up and down like a roller coaster and it is great to have something at hand to treat them as soon as possible when we can not get or afford to go to them at every cough and sniffle with them.

With Tylan Soluble Powder the dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water or 1/4 tsp per liter.  The mixture is the same for any weight of chicken--they will drink the correct amount if they are still drinking normally.

That is true if one puts it in the drinking water, but they don't want to do that, they want to do an oral drench to avoid medicating the whole flock, so an oral drench *does* require knowing how much the bird weighs.:D

The other option would be to separate the sick one and just medicate her water, then no weighing and no medicating healthy birds.

-Kathy

Does anyone know how many mg of tylosin are in a teaspoon of the powder?

-Kathy

From what I know, it's 1/4 teaspoon equals 500mg but this can very. If you pack it tightly, it' could be more like 800 - 700 if packed lightly it could be 600-500 so that would be some factors to consider..

So teaspoon could be about 2000 like you said but consider some of those factors..

Last edited:
So if it is 2000 grams per teaspoon, one could put one teaspoon in 1 liter and then each 1 ml would have ~2mg tylosin, right? From what I read below, the goal is to get 50mg per 1 pound into your chicken, so a 5 pound chicken would get 250mg or 250ml of the concentrated water, which is way to much to give in one shot, but could be done three different times throughout the day.

Of course one could make a batch and use 500 ml water, then the amount to give would be 125ml, or they could use 250ml water and the oral dose would be 62.5ml.

I've just typed all the above and have not double checked my math, so if anyone sees any errors, please don't be shy! Gotta go get my coffee, lol.

http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1031017
Directions for Use
Chickens
should be treated for three days; however, treatment may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
Turkeys should be treated for three days; however, treatment may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

-Kathy

Just posting to say that Tylan50 is fantastic. I have a silver laced wyandotte that has been rattling/wheezing for a couple of weeks. She has been other wise active and eating and drinking fine. I originally thought it might be a worm issue, and wormed her with no improvement. I just started her yesterday on a .75 ml/cc injection of Tylan 50 into the breast muscle. As of last night she was already wheezing and gurgling much less. I'll continue the injections for the next few days to insure it is wiped out, but it has already improved her so much. I was initially nervous about giving the injection, but it was a breeze. I laid her on her side, spread her feathers out to expose the skin over her breast muscle (beside her breast bone was the thickest part) and wiped her down with an alcohol swab. She didn't even flinch during the injection. This stuff is great.

Back
Top Bottom