Tylan 50 injectable dosage to give orally for hen with respiratory illness UPDATE READ POST 6

Blesser

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
My hen "Bandage" is shaking her head, sneezing and has abnormal breathing and talking sounds(sound like full mucus in throat when she talks). This started a few days ago. Her breathing is getting slightly better but the other symptoms are not. I want to give her tylan 50 injectable orally to her. I have given injections before but hate doing it, and would rather give it to her orally. I don't want to mix tylan soluble in water because she doesn't drink much and right now I am mixing water in with her pellets because she just won't drink. Last time I weighed her a few weeks back she weighed a little less than 6 lbs maybe 5.5 lbs. I think the dose is 1/2 cc for normal size and 1/4 cc for smaller size, is that right? but now sure how long to give it to her, heard orally takes longer than injections. Thanks in advance. I am gonna pick up the bottle today at Tractor Supply its for cattle and swine, again thank you for you help.

Last edited:
It is not a good idea to give injectable Tylan orally. It is a rather harsh antibiotic that is known for causing muscle damage at the injection sites. Think of what it will do to an already compromised mouth and throat.

I didn't think of that, I guess that means she will get an injection. Since it causes damage in the muscle where do I give the shot? Thanks again.

I bought the tylan 50 today. I was reading threads on administrating it and am a bit confused with the conflicting advice. Some say at the back of the neck and some say give it in the breast muscle. Which is better? Thanks.

You give it in either the thigh or the breast. The muscle damage is more aesthetic than anything, and is not a big deal unless you plan to process the animal. When you use Tylan it causes a small pucker at the injection site. A few shots in the breast of a bird destined for the dinner table, and the breast looks all weird and is not going to be a pleasing "picture perfect" roaster. That bird is not going to be worth as much as a roaster with an unblemished breast.

Remember to rotate sites.

Good luck.

update, I only gave her two injections, wanted to give her a least 3 but she had some side effects. She would sleep pretty much all day and not eat much, it was kind of scary but a few days after the medicine she reverted to her normal self. But she still had mucus type sounds in her throat (probably because I didn't give her the full course)but after several more days the sounds finally went away on there own, yay:)

Back
Top Bottom