Tylan 50 injectable taken orally?

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I've been reading old post for an hour now. So may different opinions. Several people say they give the Tylan directly into the mouth instead of giving injection. Doing that would make me feel much better, because the injection scares me to death. But it's whats best for her...

So........... any advise on giving it orally?

Thanks.

I personally would use it, but I would only give it orally at a dosage of 1/4 ml (0.25 ml) per pound 3 times a day. Keep it in the fridge just to keep it fresher. You can try to get some Tylan (tylosin) powder for the water here for future use:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Dosage is 1 tsp (5 grams) per gallon of water for 5 days. It has to be mixed by adding water to the powder, not the other way around or it does not mix well.

If your chickens respond to Tylan, then you are probably seeing MG. Amoxicillin will not treat MG or respiratory diseases. I am not that familiar with spiromycin. I would stick with Tylan, but if they seem to develop resistance, then switch to something else. Baytril (enrofloxacin) which is banned in chickens, but may be prescribed by some vets, will also treat MG. Jedds has that as well.

It's true that giving tylan 50 injectable orally takes longer to absorb into their system and there's a loss of potency, injecting is best. Dosing orally, is normally 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens, 1/10cc for chicks. Because of the time it takes to see improvements in the chicken, you can dose orally 5-7 days, but not longer. Injecting with tylan 50 is normally 3-5 days.

I just bought Tylan 50 for my pullet. Does anyone know the dosage I should give? I'd say she's only about a pound. I need help fast she's gasping for air and seems very sick.
It can be given orally and there is a group of vets that suggest giving 0.2 ml per pound every 6-8 hours.

Yes it makes sense. Thank you. I realize it's not the best way to give the Tylan. But I'm nevous giving her a shot. So I will try it orally first. Though I did pick up needles jist in case I have to inject her. So we will see how this goes first. Thank,you!

Back
Top Bottom