tylan 50 injectable

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bturbo87, May 31, 2010.

1. bturbo87

bturbo87 Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    can be given orally???? is this correct, or can you do it, but it works better when injected??? help soon please

2. bturbo87

bturbo87 Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    also, if injected, under the skin at the back of the neck, or in the breast?

3. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    "Tylan-50 Injectable" is an antibiotic designed for intramuscular injection. IM injections are given in a large muscle; in chickens, this is the breast muscle. Take care to avoid the crop. Giving the injection in the neck can be ineffective, and potentially dangerous.

1/2cc of Tylan-50 is sufficient for mild to moderate infections. Tylan should be injected daily for 3-5 days. Like any antibiotic, finish the entire course of treatment- so a minimum of 3 injections. Stopping treatment early can promote antibiotic resistant bacteria.
    quoted from an earlier thread...

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    DO NOT inject it into the breast muscle. You need to inject it under the skin of the breast, but not into the muscle. 3 days. switch sides each day.

I've also given it orally after reading posts on here where other BYC'ers have given it orally. I had the same results with oral as with the injections.

Good luck!

5. happymorrows

happymorrows Songster

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:The bottle says IM (intramuscular). But it also says for cattle and sheep only. Is it only IM for those animals and subcutaneous for chickens?

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I've given it orally before. Worked good for me.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing 9 Years

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I've given it to my hen behind the neck

8. ND

ND Songster

Jul 20, 2010
    You CAN give it orally. It's seems just about as effective, maybe not quite as quick... and I'd give it for a minimum of 5 days.

Of course, it can be given IM injection, too... but DO keep in mind that it's meant to be injected into the muscle of a LARGE animal... it does cause some muscle damage, which can vary. The damage it may cause in a very large animal is insignificant due to the SIZE of the muscle/animal. There isn't as much muscle in a WHOLE chicken as there is in just a very small area on either of those other animals.

IF given in the muscle, don't go deep at all. AND, change injection site every time. The birds don't seem to react much when actually injected, but it does burn/sting very much, and I've had some act very, very tender at the injection site for a few days.

You can inject it sub-Q, too... and in the neck... but again, they can be sore. I had some that didn't want to move their neck, stood with their neck "in their shoulders" for a day starting the morning after the first injection sub-Q'd in the back of their neck...

9. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I don't know if this is the same as LA 200, but I injected it in the breast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: