Tylan 50

Would it be the same amount as if injected? What is it, .5 cc's injected, I think.

My DH took the Tylan back to TSC. They didn't have any with a later exp. date so they gave us a 50% refund and we kept the 7/10 exp stuff.

I need to medicate my hen and heard that you can use Tylan 50 orally. Can anyone give me the dose? Is it the same amount as it would be for a shot? .5cc for 3 days?

For my smaller birds, like silkies and seramas I use 2 lines, I think that's .2 and for larger birds I used .50. I usually administer it for 5 days or a couple days after all symptoms have disappeared.

Last edited:
What is the bubbly eye a symptom of? My BO has started this in the last couple of days along with a weird squawk. Another thread indicated URI. Described it to my vet who does avian stuff and he prescribed Doxycycline for 7 days. Is this a URI?

Beth

We have some really nasty poultry illnesses going around our county and after several friends and neighbors have lost entire flocks of chickens to illness, and then mine got sick too. I lost a couple birds and none were responding to duramycin so I went to our local farm store to talk to and old backwoods hillbilly farmer that hangs out there. He suggested Tylan 50 and gave me the following advice. It worked wonderfully so Im sharing it with yall.

Inject into the wing meat on the undeside of the wing near the armpit.

1cc for full grown big stock chickens
1/2cc for full grown larger bantams and medium sized chickens
1/4cc for small bantams
2 drops (not injected) into an infected sick eye.

Repeat once every 2 days til chickens are healthy. Usually only takes a few treatments.

This guy also told me to never inject Tylan in baby chicks and that Duramycin works best for babies, but is not as effective in adults.

His advice worked great for me. My chickens got healthy far quicker than they ever have with Duramycin. Most ill chickens got better after 1 injection, a few very ill ones took 2 injections. I had a couple that I was almost certain were going to die make a complete turnaround in just a couple days.

Im fairly new to chickens- this is my second year of raising them, but I have raised sold at least a few hundred. Im no expert but I just wanted to share what worked for me.

I bought it from Tractor Supply. I can't tell you how much trouble I have had w/them in the last couple of months. Running short on feed, running short on pine shavings, rudeness. The only reason I got this Saturday at TSC is because a couple of my hens look like they may be getting a resp. infection...and the Tylan I have on hand expired in 2008...maybe 2009 I forgot now.
I just bought on from Tractor Supply as well. It is April 3rd, and it says it expires 5/22. My husband wont go back so I can switch it out bc he's so irritated that I didnt check the expiration date🙄

Back
Top Bottom