1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tylan and Egg Withdrawal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shepherdesscmh, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Shepherdesscmh

Shepherdesscmh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    Hello,

My chickens have been prescribed Tylan soluble in water for 5 days. The vet seemed non-committal about egg withdrawal. This web forum seems to have lots of conflicting information about the appropriate withdrawal time. I looked it up and the FDA says that in the US it should not be used on chickens that produce eggs for human consumption. Period.

It's clear that a lot of backyard chicken keepers use Tylan. Is the FDA statement just for commercial egg producers? Anyone have a vet's recommendation for egg withdrawal?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I haven't used tylan but after using tetracycline, my vet said to not use eggs for another month after the end of treatment.

3. Sergio R

Sergio R Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    My chickens just got prescribed Tylan powder in their water as well and the Vet was pretty specific about not eating the eggs for 6 weeks after
    But most of the info I found here is contradicted.
    Maybe I should call the company that manufactures Tylan and see what they recommend and why

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by