Tylan Doseage???

This I copied from a post from threehorses who is like a bible of knowledge on here. You can search her name and come up with all sorts of posts about using Tylan.

ml = cc. mg = milligrams does not = cc's.

1/8th cc Tylan50 for that size bird. 1/4th cc for an adult bird. Three days only, in the breast muscle, change places each day.

Important question though - do any of the birds' heads stink, the drainage? If so, that's coryza. Otherwise I wouldn't feel that the sulfa drugs are as effective as the Tylan can be. Of course, your best bet would be take one of the birds to a vet and get a "culture and sensitivity" done on the drainage from its head. The bird doesn't have to be sacrificed for that. Don't allow the vet to simply give you antibiotics from seeing the bird; this board could do as much probably with more experience.

If you're using Tylan50, you can also mix the tylan50 with sterile saline wash (1 part tylan to 4 parts wash) and put a drop in each eye, and use as a nasal flush.

I'll include an article on other supportive methods to treat respiratory illness that work for any type of respiratory illness as it supports the basic respiratory system below.

Added: I see you gave the 1/2 cc first dosage - that should be fine. Try the 1/4th cc next time though. At least you got a good start.

Last edited by threehorses (08/25/2009 2:16 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nathalie Ross [email protected]
(http://hoovesandfeathers.homestead.com/index.html in progress)

Or is Tyaln 200 stronger in which case I would be giving my birds A LOT of Tylan!!!

Not that I don't trust the vet, but I think many on this website know as much, and from practical experience, not just "book learnin' "!!!

Also, What is the safe time frame for egg consumption by people after the last dose??

Thanking everyone again!!!

Tylan 200 is much stronger than Tylan 50. You would be ODing you chickens and probably kill them.
There are a lot of vets out there but very few "Poultry Doc's". We have tons of vets around here because we are the horse capital of the US but none of them no poultry.
People on here have been there and done that so you usually get better more reliable information.
As for hold on consumption, you can usually eat the eggs 2 to 3 weeks after the last injection.
If you can't get Tylan 50 up there, let me know and I can send it to you.
Eric

Are you seeing an avian vet, or at least one who regularly treats chickens?

When my vet prescribed tylan powder, we were to use it until the medicine was gone--the office dispensed part of a bottle. The soluble is much more expensive than the injectible, so I purchased some tylan 50 for "the next time." Which came.

I can't point to a specific post, but I do recall reading a post by Natalie (Threehorses) where she said that the tylan 200 is too strong.

You may be able to find official dosing information if you google or even by searching the merck veterinary manual website. Many times the specific dose and length of treatment for a medicine will vary depending on the particular diagnosis.

Tylan 50 has 50 mg/ml and tylan 200 has 200 mg/ml, so the 200 is 4 x more concentrated (thus you have to give 1/4 as much as you would the tylan 50). IC is quite stubborn to treat and you'll likely have a recurrence of the disease unless you knock it flat, which is why the vet has prescribed a longer, stronger dose of tylan. Coryza tends to stick around for much longer than CRD (mycoplasma) because the purulent pus becomes "cheesy" and lives in the sinuses for a long time, causing the bird to shed the bacteria and become re-infected with it unless they are given adequate tylan. Baytril will also treat IC but because a longer, stronger treatment is needed, the bird may end up with a yeast infection from all the baytril. Tylan doesn't seem to cause the same problem with yeast as the baytril.

Laura

Quote:
True - I do really like baytril... I usually use it before I use tylan. But because baytril is so good at targeting bacteria in the digestive system (which is great if you have a bird with enteritis), it also means that it wipes out all the good bacteria as well. Tylan doesn't seem to target the gut bacteria as much which makes it a good candidate for long-term (or longer-term) dosing.

Both drugs have advantages over the other...

Laura

So I guess I am a little thick :] Is .20. .35, .40 ml (same as cc's?) 2 x per day for 7 days of Tylan 200 a correct and safe doseage???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------????????
I trust BYB forum people more than the vet, who is supposed to be an avian specialst and know chickens. It made me nervous that she had to look everything up and didn't pick up on the smell from the runny beak that I understand to be a Infcts Coryza symptom...

Thanking everyone for your help and insight!

Back
Top Bottom