Tylan Injectable In food?

berkchicks

Songster
5 Years
Jun 29, 2018
Maryland
Hey guys, so I’m dealing with a respiratory infection with me Chickens right now.

I am treating it as Mycoplasma as we wait for test results to come back from the vet.

I have a few three month old pullets that are coming down with the same symptoms as everyone else.

Not anything too bad but I absolutely don’t want it to get bad. I have lost three of my adult chickens so far due to this illness and seeing the babies get sick would be extra devastating.

I have Tylan 50 injectable and I’m OK doing the injections on my big girls but I’m not particularly enthusiastic about doing it to a three-month-old pullet.

I’ve seen a lot of different information so I just wanted to ask for some clarification, is it OK to squirt .3cc or so of the Tylan up and give it to her in some bread?

I have the powder too but that wasn’t helping.

Thank you in advance!

I have a few three month old pullets that are coming down with the same symptoms as everyone else.

I have Tylan 50 injectable and I’m OK doing the injections on my big girls but I’m not particularly enthusiastic about doing it to a three-month-old pullet.

’ve seen a lot of different information so I just wanted to ask for some clarification, is it OK to squirt .3cc or so of the Tylan up and give it to her in some bread?

I have lost three of my adult chickens so far due to this illness

You have the powdered Tylan (Tylosin) and it wasn't helping? Were they drinking enough? How long did you give that? If they were drinking the medicated water and they didn't respond, you may be dealing with a virus. What symptoms are you seeing?
Photos?

You need to give the correct dosage. You can try putting in on bread, but my understanding is that Tylan50 is very bitter, so I don't know if you would get them to eat the bread 3 times a day. I suppose you can try.
Tylan50 injectable can be given orally. Dosage is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Here's a link that you may find helpful - it shows how to give oral medications.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

When given orally it needs to be given 3 times a day and a dose recommended by a veterinarian is 0.2 ml per pound of body weight every 6-8 hours.

This is day eight of giving the Tylan in the water. Some have gotten better and some of them have died. I am aware that this could be a virus but until we get the test results back, I’m kind of on my own. I’m prepared and understand what it means if it is a virus. In the meantime I’m doing what I can and treating it with Tylan.

Classic respiratory symptoms: coughing/raspy/rattling, sneezing

They had diarrhea early on but I think that the Tylan took care of that.

Everyone right now has energy and is
foraging and eating and drinking normally.

I am only doing the Tylan injections on those that have a bit more pronounced symptoms.

I have noticed an improvement in those who have had the injections. I’ve seen multiple times that people of had success with the injections and not so much with the water.

I just don’t want to wait for it to go from “not that bad“ to my little 3 month old struggling.

I am comfortable with the injections on the big girls and I know the dosing amounts. I just would really rather give this little one some bread with it squirted in there instead.

I would not feel comfortable squirting it down her throat. I have heard that that can hurt or even damage their throats and in worst case situations cause aspiration.

You have the powdered Tylan (Tylosin) and it wasn't helping? Were they drinking enough? How long did you give that? If they were drinking the medicated water and they didn't respond, you may be dealing with a virus. What symptoms are you seeing?
Photos?

You need to give the correct dosage. You can try putting in on bread, but my understanding is that Tylan50 is very bitter, so I don't know if you would get them to eat the bread 3 times a day. I suppose you can try.
Tylan50 injectable can be given orally. Dosage is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Here's a link that you may find helpful - it shows how to give oral medications.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

Last edited:
Try the bread and see if they will take it. You can always give it drop by drop orally.
If you have very small syringes, those will fit in the esophagus as shown in the link, less risk of aspiration that way.

Tylan50 needs to be administered 3 times a day to get the benefits of it.

In your 3 threads about your respiratory problem, we have said that viral diseases such as infectious bronchitis or ILT, might not repond to antibiotics. Tylan is only supposed to be given for 3-5 days. If you are not seeing improvement after that, you may be dealing with a virus. Usually the worst diseases, such as MG or coryza will cause bubbles in an eye along with swelling around an eye. Viruses will hang on for several weeks to a month, or longer. Sorry that you are having a tough time. Please let us know when you get your results of testing, and I would call Monday and ask about it.

I have mixed a little egg with yogurt and some crubs and mixed Tylan into it, but they need to eat it all.

Totally understand and I’m aware. After doing loads of research this entire week I kind of feel that it is infectious bronchitis.

But the vet prescribed Tylan soluble for 10 days so I’m going to continue to try for two more days.

I figure it can’t hurt to fend off secondary infections. I think it’s what helped with the diarrhea.

They don’t have bubbly eyes which is one of the reasons why I agree and don’t think that it’s mycoplasma - that combined with the fact that this has been going on for a week with the antibiotics makes me feel like it’s viral.

Long story about the vet but I am incredibly disappointed with them. I have called multiple times and let them know every single time that we have had one of our chickens pass and I have not gotten a phone call back. I think they are the type a vet that doesn’t consider chickens to be pets. I told them that we would no longer be coming to their practice and to fax the test results when they get them to our vet that we take our dogs to. It’s much further than this chicken vet but obviously he is not very competent.

By the way, does anyone happen to know how long it takes on average to get a test results back for MG?

Going to go try to give the Tylan dosed treats - wish me luck!

In your 3 threads about your respiratory problem, we have said that viral diseases such as infectious bronchitis or ILT, might not repond to antibiotics. Tylan is only supposed to be given for 3-5 days. If you are not seeing improvement after that, you may be dealing with a virus. Usually the worst diseases, such as MG or coryza will cause bubbles in an eye along with swelling around an eye. Viruses will hang on for several weeks to a month, or longer. Sorry that you are having a tough time. Please let us know when you get your results of testing, and I would call Monday and ask about it.

I have mixed a little egg with yogurt and some crubs and mixed Tylan into it, but they need to eat it all.

Call the vet and ask where they sent the MG test. Did they send it to a lab out of state? The mail could be the problem, but if you told them you would no longer come there, maybe they are dragging their feet. But Tylan is only supposed to be given for 5 days, according to the Elanco website.

If you see wrinkled egg shells or other abnormal shells, that can be a sign of IB.

Back
Top Bottom