Tylan injection...How do I do it????

The tube of Terrymycin opthalmic ointment seems to be working. (Thanks goldensunriseranch!) The swellling seems to be coming down. I held off on the Tylan injections because I was a little hesitant to mix it with Sulmet. I do appreciate the advice and articles on how to inject in case I need to inject her or any others in the future.

I just gave three chickens shots yesterday. The only other injections I have administered were to cats. I looked on youtube and found some videos of people showing how/where to inject, which agreed with previous info I had read (to inject to muscle near the breast bone). I laid the chicken on her side on my lap, felt for the hard center of the breast bone, and moved my fingers to the side to find a soft spot with no bone. I had a 20 gauge needle (best I could find in a rush), and inserted into the skin and I was so surprised at how easy it was! It went in with very little effort, and out of three chickens I only got a peep out of one. They seemed to not notice/care.
Just wanted to share my experience as encouragement if you want to try this way. Good luck and hope she feels better!!

http://www.afn.org/~poultry/newsletr/1996/psep96.pdf

Chicken
Medications

by Dr. James Barton and Clarence Gillihan

(excerpt)

".....Bacterial Diseases:

Purchase a bottle of Tylan 50 and several 3cc

syringes with 25 to 30 gauge 1/2" needles. Give your hen 1 to 1 1/2 cc. of Tylan under the skin of the neck .........Continue daily injections for three days but not more than five. Withdrawal time is one month. Tylan does not have much activity against coccidia, but it is very good against Mycoplasma bacteria which is responsible for some respiratory diseases.

To inject Tylan 50, pull the hens feathers back

to reveal the skin on base of the the neck on her back. Lift the skin up and insert the needle gentlty but firmly into the skin just far enough to allow the Tylan to be injected. You will be able to feel it. Be careful that you do not inject yourself. Make certain that you do not push the needle through the skin and out again not injecting at all................

Because Tylan is so powerful, it is recommended

that you purchase some Beneficial Bird Bacteria

and feed it to your chicken after she recovers.

Tylan wipes out all the benficial bacteria that is normally present in a chickens digestive system.

Also, Tylan can kill skin cells near the site of the injection so you should not use anything stronger than Tylan 50 - a stronger variety, Tylan-200 is also available at your local feed store, but this will likely do more harm than good.

When purchasing syringes, get them from a

local drug store. The 'human' grade needles are a little sharper than the vetrinary grade. The cost is about the same and your hen will thank you...."

If you have OXINE this is the time to use it and mist regularly with it.

VERY helpful! Thank you!

Do you know if there is a video on this? I am not exactly sure if I am injecting in the correct spot and I am having a very hard time seeing through all the feathers and the skin is so thin, its not just that easy to pull some skin up and inject. Thank you so much!

Do you know if there is a video on this? I am not exactly sure if I am injecting in the correct spot and I am having a very hard time seeing through all the feathers and the skin is so thin, its not just that easy to pull some skin up and inject. Thank you so much!

Welcome to BYC! Try wetting the feathers with rubbing alcohol, that will allow you to see the skin better. Post number 12 in this thread has pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/903151/need-help-with-sick-peacock/10

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom