Tylan injection...How do I do it????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Biddieacres, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    The tube of Terrymycin opthalmic ointment seems to be working. (Thanks goldensunriseranch!) The swellling seems to be coming down. I held off on the Tylan injections because I was a little hesitant to mix it with Sulmet. I do appreciate the advice and articles on how to inject in case I need to inject her or any others in the future.

2. Cruiser

Cruiser Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    W. Terre Haute IN.
    OK I'm going to give this a try. I have a sick bird & the only times I have injected a bird it was with garlic & butter.

1 person likes this.
  3. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    good luck, hope it works out OK.

4. SamSWIA

SamSWIA In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2014
    I just gave three chickens shots yesterday. The only other injections I have administered were to cats. I looked on youtube and found some videos of people showing how/where to inject, which agreed with previous info I had read (to inject to muscle near the breast bone). I laid the chicken on her side on my lap, felt for the hard center of the breast bone, and moved my fingers to the side to find a soft spot with no bone. I had a 20 gauge needle (best I could find in a rush), and inserted into the skin and I was so surprised at how easy it was! It went in with very little effort, and out of three chickens I only got a peep out of one. They seemed to not notice/care.
    Just wanted to share my experience as encouragement if you want to try this way. Good luck and hope she feels better!!

5. blackshawdog

blackshawdog In the Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    Tulsa

VERY helpful! Thank you!

6. mmray22

mmray22 In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2015
    Do you know if there is a video on this? I am not exactly sure if I am injecting in the correct spot and I am having a very hard time seeing through all the feathers and the skin is so thin, its not just that easy to pull some skin up and inject. Thank you so much!

7. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012

Welcome to BYC! Try wetting the feathers with rubbing alcohol, that will allow you to see the skin better. Post number 12 in this thread has pictures:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/903151/need-help-with-sick-peacock/10

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: