Tylan Injections - HELP!!

cheeps

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Rockwell, NC
OK, I have a bird that I have determined has an upper resp infection or something similar. I have decided to treat with Tylan based on the recommendations I received here. So, I have a few questions:

What is the dosage? This is a Dark Cornish Bantam rooster, but he is very solid and weighs as much as my RIR hens. I've read 1cc for standards, 1/2 cc for bantams, but I don't think with his body weight the bantam dose would cover him.

Secondly, how long should I treat and how often? Once a day, twice a day? For two weeks?

Third, I've given injections to dogs, cats, people, horses, cows, sheep...but never a bird. Can someone graphically explain how to go about this?? Why do some places state the "best way" is IM and others Sub-Q??

Thanks!

Katie

Last edited:
Quote:
I am by no means an expert, but I'll try to help:

For the dosage: Maybe do 3/4cc? That way he's getting a little bit more than bantam dosage, but not as much as a standard.

I was told Once every other day until it clears up; I have read on here once a day for 3 days in a row.... Maybe someone else can chime in?

I was told to do Sub-Q on the top of the neck. You pinch some skin, put the needle in Sub-Q and draw the syringe back a little to see if you hit a blood vessel or not...

Hope this helps a little, and I hope someone else will come along and help

Back
Top Bottom