Type of fencing material for the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by animalover, Aug 7, 2010.

1. animalover

animalover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    I'm planning my build of the run. I ordered a prefab coop, because I have no building experience, lol. I will have 2 to 4 full size hens. I want to make it tall enough so I can walk into, and cost is a big factor. I plan on making a wooden frame, with a "^" at the top that I can put a tarp on. What should I use for the fencing material? Does chicken wire only have to come up a certain height? I'd appreciate any advice.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Chicken wire, or better & stronger, rabbit wire on the first 2 feet, so predators, like coons can't grab your birds as easy. On top, 2"x 4" weld wire (dog fence) works well.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If you do use chicken wire, please be aware that it isn't predator secure. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, and keeps hawks away from your birds, but that's about it.

4. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Hardware cloth is really the most secure fencing, preferably a small gauge. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it if you have predators around.

5. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
  6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

2x4 welded wire fencing with either hardware cloth or heavy guage chicken wire on the inside up about 2 feet. Don't know about you but I can't afford to build a large run out of hardware cloth. The good stuff is expensive.

7. barjd6

barjd6 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    We have a large run using 2x4 wire at least 5 ft. We have new chicks and when they are big enough to go outside, they will be in only part of it for awhile with a smaller gauge chicken or rabbit wire around the small area so they can't get out or can't be caught through the small openings.

We gave away the layers, so now we only have the 3 wk old pullets and they have plenty of room in the chicken house. It has a window and screen door so is well ventilated.

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I would think about heavier gauge wire, at least 14 gauge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by