Type of hens?

Joker

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Hello all I was wondering if anyone could tell me the types of chickens these hens are. They were the first two I bought last april and are currently the only ones laying eggs for me. I would love to find out what they are so I can get more. They are the blackand gold colored ones. Thanks all
68408_020.jpg

The one up front looks like a mutt, honestly. . .

Although she could be a Black Sex Link (which still technically is a mutt)

The black and gold one in the back with the poofy head is a Gold Laced Polish.

Thanks for the help. I have 3 of the mutts and they are the only ones laying for me now. What breed would you recommend for laying in the winter?

Hi,
Mine are from this spring's chicks, and I started a little late but my Wyndendottes(?) and Austrolops are laying really well. My brown leghorns are just getting up and running.
And they are going strong. I also have buffs that I see in there often.
I am only getting about 1 or 2 Americana eggs tho and I have 6.
Diane (I think the heritage breeds are usually good)

Your dark-colored chicken in the front is probably a mutt, but maybe a Black Sex-Link. The dark-colored hen with the poofy head is a Golden Laced Polish. The golden hen is a mutt, most likely has some Buff Orpington in her.

If you're after eggs, then your best bet would be Rhode Island Reds from a hatchery. IMHO, McMurray has the best production RIRs.
wink.png

My 8 Australorps are laying between 5 and 7 eggs each day. I have an AustralorpXBlack Ameraucana hen who I am proud to say has laid an egg every day but one since she started laying in October!

Back
Top Bottom