Types of pea combs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Easter eggers, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Are there different types of pea combs,because I have 4 ee's and all their combs are different?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    EE,s are a mixed up bunch of chickens. They can have any kind of comb and lay anything from a blue, green, pink or brown egg. Usually the ones with real pea combs are more likely to lay the bluish green eggs we all love. EE's are great. Gloria Jean

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    MOST Easter Eggers only have pea combs. [​IMG] And I've yet to see EE's with V combs or butterfly combs or the such [​IMG]

But to answer the OP - Pea combs can vary. The variations you're seeing though are likely the differences in pure pea combs and pea combs carrying a recessive single comb gene in there too. Also, some are indeed less proper than others (not as defined of rows, closer spacing in rows, taller bumps, a fold or flopped comb, etc)

So to answer, there aren't different "types" just different variations. Like with most other comb types.

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Vic has an Easter Egger roo (Ameraucana X Dominique) with a Buttercup comb. My EE roos that are half Silkie have a walnut comb, for the most part. The EEs that are half Orp have a funky pea comb where the center row is exaggerated and the side rows are tiny. That's probably one of the kinds you are seeing now. EEs are so magnificently unpredictable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by