Types of poultry

Cheetah1

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2015
I know this is a chicken app or website, but you can talk about poultry generally right? There are chickens, ducks, turkeys, fowl, and more. This thread will talk about the types of poultry, and yes I will go into specifics. I will be talking about breeds a good chunck too. If you have a question about breeds I might be able to answer. It depends what you are asking me. anyways thank you for your time and goodbye for now. :D P.S. (Postscript) I am sorry there are not any pictures on this thread so far.

Hi there! It will be fun to see all the pictures of different types of poultry, if that's what you plan to do on this thread :) You might also want to check out the other sections of the forum - we have a specific section for each type of poultry you mentioned, so you might be able to find more people who own them in their specific sections than you might here in the chicken section. I personally own ducks, guinea fowl, and geese in addition to chickens.

I am getting chickens and ducks when I get them. I will hopefully be able to put pictures on this thread if I figure out how to... Anyways to start of the first poultry type. The TURKEY. Every one knows you eat turkeys at thanksgiving time, turkeys can get expensive to buy (the dead version you eat). So some people buy turkeys because of that. Turkeys are big and should not go with chickens. Turkeys will not go well with the chickens. If you want to have more information about turkeys ask me. :D

I'll have to beg to differ on a few points...

turkeys can get expensive to buy (the dead version you eat). So some people buy turkeys because of that.

It's nearly impossible for the backyard poultry keeper to raise turkeys for even the same price let alone less than what they can be purchased for per dressed pound around turkey day... Instead people raise their own so they have a higher quality meat and more control over what they eat...

Turkeys are big and should not go with chickens. Turkeys will not go well with the chickens.

Turkeys and chickens can co-exist in a mixed flock just fine if properly managed...

Honestly I probably will never get a turkey, but if I do it is not going with my chickens. Too risky for me to try. Anyways thank you. Goodbye for now. :D

Honestly I probably will never get a turkey, but if I do it is not going with my chickens. Too risky for me to try. Anyways thank you. Goodbye for now. :D

I am getting chickens and ducks when I get them.

If putting turkeys and chickens together is too risky for you, you might want reconsider your plan for chickens and ducks together as that can be risky as well without the same type of proper flock management considerations...

Last edited:
If putting turkeys and chickens together is too risky for you, you might want reconsider your plan for chickens and ducks together as that can be risky as well without the same type of proper flock management considerations...

This is very true, as someone who keeps ducks and chickens together. Special consideration has to be taken for water, housing, and even breeding, since male ducks can be fatal to hens.

Well here is thing I have had ducks and chickens together before. I have never had a turkey and I don't want to mess up with it either.

Back
Top Bottom