Types of Silkies

Here's my Big boy, beside a standard Buff Orpington hen.View attachment 1632184 View attachment 1632189 Silkies come from the Cooler regions of Ancient China. They are a cold hardy breed, and don’t tolerate heat as well as they do cold . In America, we have bantam Silkies. In other countries, there are two sizes of silkies: one that is a bit smaller than ours and a standard version that is a bit bigger than ours.

Bantam Silkie Rooster vs Standard Silkie rooster.
1029191344.jpg
1029191344a.jpg

Throwing in my 2 cents: I have a "satin" silkie 5th generation, which means his background started as cochin crossed with silkie and then the offspring bred back to silkies, maintaining the other silkie characteristic, but also keeping the smooth feathers, for 5 generations. Our little Pip (Also my avatar photo) was a surprise in a hatch of 14 chicks from shipped eggs, one of the others was also smooth feathered. He is a little sweetie, 2 months old and all rooster (sent his feathers in for gender identification), though he has acted that way from day one!:)
I understand the LF silkies are common in Europe, but not seen so often here in the US.

Attachments

• 3D480CCD-B7B4-49FB-8CAF-4F6E659C8724.jpeg
    3D480CCD-B7B4-49FB-8CAF-4F6E659C8724.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom