U.S. Air Force?

My Grandfather was a Merchant Marine WWI.

My Father was USAF in Nam.

I was USAF from 2001 - 2006 (Minot ND w/"Deployement" to Patch Barracks Germany, & Osan S. Korea for 2 years.)

Met my wife who was USAF in Minot, she was only able to serve just over 2 years and then was medically discharged, but she joined me in Korea working as a GS.

All active duty.

DD is AF, currently Tech. Sgt., testing for Master Sgt. in March, has worked with Nato in Europe and now at the Pentagon in the Joint Chiefs of Staff Offices.

Very proud of my baby girl and all that serve in the military, past, present and future.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ouch! I'll just say that there is a lot more involved than just flying over the drop zone. As we approach the drop zone, I, as the Flight Engineer, am monitoring the aircraft systems, reading the checklist to the crew for the drop, and backing up the pilot on airspeed and altitude. The ground controller gives us the wind data and the Navigator computes an offset so that the cargo or jumpers end up on the drop zone. We configure the aircraft (drop the flaps, slow down, open the doors) and fly at an exact altitude and airspeed. Only when we are flying at the exact altitude, airspeed, and position for the drop does the Navigator give a "Green Light!" call. The copilot throws a switch to turn on the jump light and the cargo or jumpers exit the aircraft. It is all highly choreographed and any crew member that sees a problem can call a "No Drop". Any miss is considered a serious incident and the crew faces a board to determine what went wrong.

I always hate to hear stories like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather was in the Navy from 1922 to 1954. Saw action in WWII in the Pacific theater and in the Korean War. He was skipper of the ship that took John Kennedy and crew to Guadalcanal.

My father was in the Air Force, as are a few cousins.
I was an Air Force Wife for almost 8 years.

My Son is in the airforce. He made major last year. He is going to school soon in New Mexico and will be up for Lt.Col. He has been to Irag. He enjoys his job. Sometimes with the 5 young ones though the moves are hard. His wife is great. He is in missiles. Jean

Quote:
Wow!!!
FIL was in the Army stationed in the Philippines during WWII. My son is only 6 and has a grandfather who served in that war. His friends' parents are astonished by this!

fRte.66_chicks
Overrun With Chickens

E-mail PM Re: U.S. Air Force?My daughter did 6 years in USAF, then went to Air National Guard. When the AF wouldn't approve the eye surgery she had so she could fly fighters, she switched to Army Nat. Guard and learned to fly Apaches. She's done a tour in Afghanistan and is going to be training or C-12's.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your post. My teenage Daughter saw this post sitting here with me. See was excited because she wants to be a pilot. Your post gives her hope that this is possible.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I have a cousin who is AF - he's stationed at Nellis AFB and has been there for years. He's a mechanic. His dad was in the Army, but I'm not sure for how long or any other details.

My great-great-great-great-great grandpa (on my dad's side) was in George Washington's army before he came to Ohio and settled our family here.

My great grandfather (on mom's side) was in WWII. He still carries shrapnel in his leg from WWII. He absolutely does not talk about anything that happened to him, though.

I wanted to join the air force, but ended up heavily recruited for the Navy Nuclear program when I was in high school. I didn't do either in the end - my asthma was a problem for them.

I have much respect and am very grateful to all of you who serve our country or have family members who serve our country! Thank you!

My DS is currently AF in Grand Forks, ND. He is in fuels. He recently did a tour in Iraq. Don't know if he will rejoin when his 6 years are up 3 years from now. I think that if he makes it the 6 years he should just keep going and make a career out of it.

My brother is full time Nat Guard and was in Iraq when the fighting started this last time. His position now deals with getting the paperwork ready for others to go and come back from serving so he is all over the country. Never know if he is home or away so the first question when I call him is "are you home?" He loves his job and has been in since graduation in 1986 but only full time since 1998, I think.

I have uncles that served also. One in the Navy, one in the army, and another that I can never remember what he was in. Just about forgot about the cousin that served in the Marines in the first go round with Iraq in the '90's.

Back
Top Bottom