Uff Da's Icelandic Flock

Uff Da

Songster
Apr 27, 2019
Montana
I'm going to start dumping my photos of my Icelandic chickens here, in order for me to keep track of their colors and health over time.

My first 6 were hatched in June; I am down to 3 of those, a blue-splash red pyle cockerel, a black-and-white mottled pullet, and a blue splash pullet. All are crested and rose-combed.
This is Regn, Norwegian for Rain.
KIMG3438.JPG

This is Flekk, Norwegian for Spot.
KIMG3424.JPG

This is Solskinn, Norwegian for Sunshine.
KIMG3472.JPG

My next hatch was in August. 10 hatched, but I lost one a day later. I still have 4 of these, a cockerel and 3 pullets. All are crested. The cockerel is rose-combed. The partridge pullet is single-combed, and the others are rose. They haven't been named yet.

Here are the girls:

KIMG3427.JPG

And here is the boy:
KIMG3454.JPG

Uff da I too have been a fan of the Icelandics wondering not sure they could do well here with their top knots ?

Can you explain why the topknots might keep them from thriving?

They don't have vaulted skulls, like silkies, so they aren't fragile. I've seen some hens with puffs that are big enough to obscure vision, but that's not especially common. The roosters' topknots tend to be more of a spiky ponytail, so they have no issues with being able to see predators. Other than that, I can't think of why they would be a hindrance!

I am afraid I have a few hens that would pick on that a bit too hard
Ahhh! No, I wouldn't say the crests affect their interactions with my non-Icelandics, even though my others are definitely "Mean Girls." They just stay out of the way! I did lose a 6-week-old to the Mean Girls, but that was my fault for letting them mingle too early. I reversed their positions and stuck the Mean Girls in the grow-out pen instead for a few weeks. Now they are all together and they do fine.

Back
Top Bottom