ugh- help me put up my walls!

mackenziesmomma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
I have plywood (outdoor paneling) I am trying to put it. What is the *secret* to hanging this stuff? My walls/ floor are level... but I can't seem to get walls up in line/ level.

Please help!

smile.png

Well..it takes more then one person to do it ...I can tell you that.
tongue.png

DH and I just finished our coop and it took both of us to do most of it.....we used wafer board and it is awkward to handle alone!!
hmm.png

or you can put up strips of wood to rest it on so you can nail it??
Good luck and hope to see your pix of your coop soon!!
big_smile.png

The easiest way is to frame a wall laying flat on the coop floor. Then put has much of the plywood as you can on it before standing up the wall. This is how most houses are framed.

I built two of the walls of my coop today and used this technique. It is much easier than trying to hang it on the wall after it is standing. I am have my plywood go all of the way to the bottom of the floor joists. You just need to remember to leave this much extra plywood hanging below below the bottom of the wall plate.

I already put the framing of my walls up
sad.png

The walls are 8 ft high... would you use two pieces of siding and cut the top piece?

Get yourself a level and a kicker. Put the ply on its side and go from there just like sheet rocking. Just square up your framing first. Doing this also helps reinforce the walls.

The walls are 8 ft high... would you use two pieces of siding and cut the top piece?

The paneling should be 4 X 8, so you dont have to cut anything.

Start on an outside corner and nail the top of the sheet flush with the top of the wall and even with the outside corner. Then push or pull the wall until the side lines up all the way down, and your wall will then be square​

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses!

Everything is level (well, as level as I could get it). On one board the bubble on the level is maybe 5%-7% over. I spent hours on trying to get everything level- gosh it is hard! I got it as close as I could.

What is a kicker?

My walls are actually 8 ft, 6 inches. I used 2x4x8s for the boards that run vertical. My bottom board is a 2x4, as is the top board and the top plate board that I put on top of all the walls. I will be 6 inches short.
sad.png

I started at the bottom corner...but it sounds like maybe I should have gone from the top?

I haven't started the roof yet (not looking forward to it either). I plan on doing a gable and building trusses on the ground first.

The walls are for the outside. I don't plan on putting walls in the inside.

I'll post a picture...let me go find the camera.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion... Check with your local high school. If they have a building trades class they may need a project. It could get your coop finished and not cost anything for the help. Let us know how it's going. Good Luck

P.S. Boy Scouts is another place to check. There is bound to be a merit badge here somewhere.

Drive two nails along the bottom plate and let them hold the weight of the plywood. It helps if you start some nails along the top of the plywood where you don't have to try and hold a nail, a hammer and the plywood all at the same time.

A kicker is basically a lever. They sell them with a roller in the middle and a lip on the front for hanging drywall. You can make the same thing with two pieces of wood if you don't have to lift the material very far off of the ground.

Back
Top Bottom