Ugh, how rude!

An alternative approach is to approach her via text, and say I'd really like this to be a team effort and I would appreciate your input. Then schedule a time for a private get-together, lay out your plans and goals, ask her about hers and try to work some in. Make an effort to recognize her talents, rather than her drawbacks. (There must be some talents there)

Really make an effort to befriend her, and to let her get a piece of the action. Let her find out how difficult it is and help her learn, rather than try to get rid of her. If she stomps on you, then you can stomp back, knowing that you tried. Obviously she has talked to the boss. So try the honey approach first, and if needed, move on to the vinegar. Teach first, punish later.

Do you work with me? I have the same immature behavior where I work, from a woman who is almost 40! Junior High antics in a laboratory! Make me so irritated!

This is how I have dealt with my annoying co-worker.

Document everything. Save all emails, text messages, and write down all inappropriate behavior and refusals to help.
Explain to co-worker that she is behaving unprofessionally, could she please stop.
If she continues, ask another employee to come to the class to witness her behavior, that way when you approach your boss you have another person to back you up.
Report her to boss/HR, whoever; but be calm, factual and bring your documentation with you but do NOT give it to the boss! Make a copy first.
Go over boss' head if nothing is done.

This is not a situation of creating a problem; she has already done that. What you need to do is stand up for yourself and clear your name. You have a solid record with the school on your ability to teach this class and suddenly this girl shows up and you are an issue? It sounds like she was hired by a friend instead of for her qualifications.

Good luck; I am at the stage where if my co-worker pulls another stunt I am going straight to HR. Nobody ever complained about her so she has been employed at this place for the past 10 years without any punishment for her actions. If HR knew about some of the things she has said in the past to employees she would have been fired AGES ago; but since nobody said anything she is still there causing problems.

Keep us posted and I hope you manage to get this resolved.

THis is a VERY important subject that you are trying to teach your fellow co-students.. You could save someones life with your lessons/videos.
I would NOT settle for her immature behavior..
you need to confront her nicely in front of your boss...do NOT confront her alone...because she can say that you said anything.
Ask for a meeting with you, her and your boss....tell them what is bothering you...ask them how you ALL can work together to get his VERY important message/info out to your fellow students...
And i agree..its nothing to joke about...she needs to really grow up! Shes working in the wrong field if she dosent take it seriously....

Last edited:
I'd go ahead and lay it out on the table then. By golly, kids are dying every year when they go away to college and play some stupid drinking game just to fit in. This isn't just stupid office politics or catty women juggling for position, this is about the lives of our children. If she's going to negate the whole tone of your message with her antics SOMEONE has to call her on it and if the boss wants it to be you then it's gonna need to be you.

Sorry, it's just that I have to speak (when I'm not spending MONTHS recovering from a stupid surgery) about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and it's a subject I'm quite passionate about as we have adopted several children with FAS. If someone was making comments like that or dinking around while I made my presentation I'm afraid I'd call them out right there in front of the class and everyone.

Thanks everyone for all your great advice! Drinking is a topic I take very seriously and I love to share my knowledge on the subject. I certainly try not to bore my students, but I try to get across very serious messages too. I can always tell when I do a good job and you can hear a pin drop in the room! LOL

Anyways, I spoke with my mom about the whole situation, and what you guys had suggested here. She suggested that before I begin teaching my next class, that I should tell everyone to please shut off or silence their cell phones while I give my presentation so that I can have their full attention. I can also mention how important of a topic this is and that I only have one hour to share all the information I have. That way, if the girl continues to text after I mention this, I can immediately call a meeting with her and the boss and mention that I had asked the entire class to refrain from texting and that includes my co-workers!

I think this is what I will do. I don't want to let the behavior go on, but I also don't want to go about this the wrong way. You guys at BYC have great advice and you haven't let me down yet!

One thing you might do is to turn off YOUR cell visibly as you ask everyone else to turn off theirs. Then involve your co worker in front of everyone something like

"Co worker and I feel that this subject is so vital, so important that we are asking that everyone turn off their cell phones and refrain from texting <as you hold yours up and turn it off>. <smiling, turn to Co-Worker and say>'Don't you agree, Co'Worker?' "

That not only shows your students that you walk the walk, but it tells her your expectation.

Quote:
That reaction from your boss tells me this other person has been complaining alot and she layed it out for everyone. I would take that co-worker and march to your boss's office and have it out.

Well, I had a number of comments, but someone or other has said all the points I would have made
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom