Ugh, I feel awful.

Simmonsfunnyfrm

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Pope County, Arkansas
Today I woke up thinking we would butcher our extra EE roo today. I had him penned up so we could get it over with quickly. Well, we lost a rooster today, but it wasn't him.

I also had a silver laced polish rooster. He always acted weird, but I thought it was just a breed characteristic because I had 4 others at one point and they were all a little weird
roll.png
He still ate and drank normally, and he didn't crow but made plenty of other sounds. Today I decided I would give him a haircut just before butchering the other roo so he could see. He did walk around a bit, but not as much as the other chickens and I thought it was because he couldn't see. I liked him because he never struggled when you went to pick him up and was always friendly.

Well, I scooped him up and sat him on the deck to cut his 'hair'. He stank. My chickens don't stink. Some of his head feathers were matted from getting in the water trough and then getting in his food. I thought it was that. I started snipping...and found that his right eye was swollen shut from infection of some sort. His head was horribly infected because somehow a small part of his scalp had ripped and I had not noticed so I didn't know to treat it. He was obviously miserable. I have never felt so low in all my chicken keeping life. How could I have missed this?? I love my chickens! I'm out with them every day and they are all fat and happy!! We put him down immediately, as there was nothing I could do for him. I feel awful, for having let him get that bad and not noticing. There is no telling how long he suffered, I just thought he was being himself! If we ever have extra roos we butcher them and that doesn't bother me much, but they never suffer. I just hate that he did. I'm upset with myself and needed to get this out, to people who understand.

I guess the brightside is the EE roo didn't have to go since we lost the Polish. It's his lucky day.

Last edited:
I am so sorry. That must have been horrible for you. But, it could not have been your fault. Sometimes, it is very hard to notice small things like that. I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

The avian species are very adept at hiding health problems. It's hard to forgive yourself, but we've all been there.

Oh, I'm so sorry. You can't beat yourself up. You just can't be there to catch everything.

I keep my hen's run spotless and put out toys for them all the time. I put out straw once and spiked it with sunflower seeds for them to scratch around in. And what I didn't realize was my Jersey Giant was eating the straw and she got a nasty case of sour crop. We almost lost her.

It's just so hard to watch out for all the things that can ail them.

It is survival instinct for animals not to show pain. Predators take the sick, old and injured from a flock, they are the easiest to catch. It does make it more difficult to care for animals, they can't tell us what is wrong and if they could they wouldn't.

I certainly know what you mean about a polish acting weird. They all act a bit "off." It's probably why I like them though I don't currently have any. I just have really bad luck with them. Sorry about your guy :(

Back
Top Bottom