UGH! I think I got a dude from the pullet bin!

Beckyinma

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Massachusetts
Well, here's the suspect. Chip. The cutest one, and of coarse, the FIRST one I took out of the "EE" bin (they were supposed to be Ameraucana) 5 weeks ago when we picked our 6 girls.

UGH!

Among the rest of them:

We suspected from about the first week that this was a dude because it was always the first one to come running.. Now with a comb much taller than the other girls, and much pinker, we're pretty much convinced...

Beckyinma

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Massachusetts
AND, in two pictures so far, from side shots, I can see a green sheen on some of the feathers on its back... double ugh.

anniem

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Eugene, OR
Does anyone get all pullets from the pullet bin?!? So aggravating. One of our 2 EEs went roo. And now one of the 2 SS is going roo (got a 2nd batch once I was sure we had a roo in the first group). I'm glad I got some sex-links, besides those 4 I ended up with 2 of 6 supposed pullets being roos (and my 2nd batch EE still needs to prove it's girlishness).
Sorry....it's always the favorite, isn't it?

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
I got 2 EE's out of the pullet bin as well at my feed store, one turned out to be a cockerel. Same pinkness to comb and that upright tail are dead giveaways. Looks like you got yourself a packing peanut. That's what I figured with mine. I got 2 though, assuming one would turn out a roo. Always ALWAYS get more then you actually want/need in case of death or roo

anniem

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Eugene, OR
Quote:Because they have pea combs, so the big difference is that they get thicker and pinker rather than taller like yours.

LilPeeps

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
SE Mass
Quote:Is the iridescent green a sign of roo?

Both males and females can get the green sheen, so it is not an indication one way or the other. The bird in question is a cockerel.

Top Bottom