UGH! I think I got a dude from the pullet bin!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beckyinma, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Beckyinma

Beckyinma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Well, here's the suspect. Chip. The cutest one, and of coarse, the FIRST one I took out of the "EE" bin (they were supposed to be Ameraucana) 5 weeks ago when we picked our 6 girls.

UGH!
    [​IMG]

Among the rest of them:

[​IMG].

We suspected from about the first week that this was a dude because it was always the first one to come running.. Now with a comb much taller than the other girls, and much pinker, we're pretty much convinced...

[​IMG]

2. Beckyinma

Beckyinma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Massachusetts
    AND, in two pictures so far, from side shots, I can see a green sheen on some of the feathers on its back... double ugh.

3. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Haha awww.[​IMG]
    Maybe He'll be a good little roo. [​IMG]

Very cute tho! [​IMG]

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are some thick legs...ugh.

5. teapot10

teapot10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    Quote:Is the iridescent green a sign of roo?

6. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Does anyone get all pullets from the pullet bin?!? So aggravating. One of our 2 EEs went roo. And now one of the 2 SS is going roo (got a 2nd batch once I was sure we had a roo in the first group). I'm glad I got some sex-links, besides those 4 I ended up with 2 of 6 supposed pullets being roos (and my 2nd batch EE still needs to prove it's girlishness).
    Sorry....it's always the favorite, isn't it?

7. Flippacase

Flippacase Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    His comb is tiny compared to my suspected RIR roo. And he's only 4-5 weeks old.

[​IMG]

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I got 2 EE's out of the pullet bin as well at my feed store, one turned out to be a cockerel. Same pinkness to comb and that upright tail are dead giveaways. Looks like you got yourself a packing peanut. That's what I figured with mine. I got 2 though, assuming one would turn out a roo. Always ALWAYS get more then you actually want/need in case of death or roo [​IMG]

9. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Quote:Because they have pea combs, so the big difference is that they get thicker and pinker rather than taller like yours.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Is the iridescent green a sign of roo?

Both males and females can get the green sheen, so it is not an indication one way or the other. The bird in question is a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by