UGH! It stinks so bad...what can i do???

lil_chick_chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
We have had baby chicks in are living room for like 3 weeks now and just this past week the smell from them has gotten out of hand, i have no where else to put them except my living room, i would love to go ahead and put them out side but i cant, their ages are like anywhere from about 5 weeks to about maybe 2 weeks old, so their to young to go out, but they stink so bad, and i clean out their cage all the time and as soon as i clean it i take the trash out that has their nasty poupy in it. How can i control the smell, We just came back from shopping and when we walked inside the house the smell was so strong and its been like this for a few days now and i need help, like i said, im always changing their poupy messes and taking the trash out afterward, i dont know how much more of this i can take though...They Stink!!! LOL please help:)

What are you using for bedding? And how sensitive are you to smells.... If you have chickens in your house there will be a smell no matter what you do. That just comes with any pet. I have 200 chicken and quail in my house including some adults and everyone who comes over just barely notices the smell. For people who are used to having pets they don't really notice after a few minutes and don't care. For those who hate their house to have any smell of pet at all they cover their nose and leave quickly. Good riddance.
wink.png
I can't stand people who are intolerant of animals. I use mostly pine shavings but in the pens with more chicks or for the 100 quail downstairs I use either wood pellets or wood pellets under shavings.

well i didnt think i was being rude for saying i cant stand the smell but anyways, yes i do like my home to smell a little nice akane instead of poup, i understand there is going to be some smell but this smell im talking about is not just a little odor, its the kind that smacks you in the face when you walk in. I dont have a garage to put them in either.

Is their coop ready? Can you run a heat lamp to it?
I can't handle bad smells in the house either. That's one of many reasons my chicks weren't brooded in the house.

Mine have been in the coop since they dried off in the incubator. They have a heat lamp and do very well. I never brrod chicks in the house, and either hatch/order chicks every year in April. And is is cold where I live! We still have losts of snow on the ground and below freezing temps are the average

Get some wood shavings to put in their brooder. Poop sitting out on flat surfaces is so much stinkier! Newspaper for older chicks like that just doesn't cut it. It really makes a huge difference, trust me.

Is there some reason they can't finish brooding in the coop? Do you have the coop built? Can you run electric to it temporarily for their brooder lamp? If so, I'd probably just finish brooding them in their coop.

Their coop isnt ready yet, my husband is in the process of building it. We have 27 in are livingroom and it didnt stink the first 2 weeks, but this past week has been awful. Im just hoping the smell isnt on are clothes when we leave the house, that would be so embarrasing smelling like that in public lol.

I wonder why it smells?.... How many do you have in your brooder and how old are they? What are you using for bedding? What are you feeding?

I swear different kinds of chick starter make smells worse. When we used purina I could definently notice a smell, now all I can get is Dumor and you would never notice them in my house if you didn't see/hear them.

It really shouldn't smell......
hmm.png
All I have in my house now is 2 day olds, but until just a couple of weeks ago I had 5 weekers in my sunroom and there was no smell at all. I am super sensitive to smell and we have visitors all the time, and no one smelled anything. And I didn't even change their bedding daily (oh the horrors LOL
roll.png
tongue.png
).

Back
Top Bottom