Ugh RAIN...need help

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I have two problems...one of which I can't do much about (husband) and the other I need yalls help with...the unleveled run!
I did this article which explains the unleveled run. It is out of metal framing which my husband then did all 4 corners with t-posts into the ground bout 2' to anchor it into place. It has a tarp covering the entire run leading to the newly finished coop.
Learning as I go...take 3 coop/run 2021

Learning as I go...take 3 coop/run 2021

What began as an empty nester's Mothers Day gift from my three adult children has turned into the most expensive yet peaceful time I've had since coming to know God! While the cute little pre-fab coops seemed perfect for a small backyard and had all of the cuts and measurements already done...
I don't think I could ever "lift" the lower side of the run to make it level...even if I did remove it from the t-posts on corners.
Husband also does not want me putting an entire roof over the run like the coop either. So tarps it is...but when we have days and days of rain the ground is so saturated it is literally like walking in puddles through our yard even though it is on a slope. The rain coming from the tarps as well as the runoff then makes the run nasty wet.
Do yall have any suggestions as to how to go about correcting this problem?

All help is greatly appreciated!

but when we have days and days of rain the ground is so saturated it is literally like walking in puddles through our yard even though it is on a slope. The rain coming from the tarps as well as the runoff then makes the run nasty wet.
Do yall have any suggestions as to how to go about correcting this problem?
LOTS of wood chips?
They won't remove the water, but they'll let you and chickens walk above the water.

Looks to me like high side of run (uphill side) needs ground level raised or some other way to divert water from running downhill into run to act as a dam. With French drain or trench around high side and ends to help water run downhill and not into run. That looks like it would help a lot and would be a good place to start.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom