Ugh...She's Gone Broody

bcorps

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
SW Indiana
Dagnabbit.....Rosie, my alpha Buff Orpington gal...is now broody.

I saw it coming on. The walking around flapping her wings, stretching and making this little alpha roaring noise.

She didn't come out of the coop today when I tossed their treats down.

I went and opened it up and there she sat in all her puffed up glory.

No way this is happening right now (although it is odd timing with the levamisole I just gave them).

So I petted her a little. She made growly sounds, but not even an attempt to nip me as I groped under her for the eggs.

What's got me freaked out is there were only 3 eggs. And my hens have been laying 7-9 per day like clockwork.

Anyone else see production absolutely plummet for a broody hen? If so, how long did it last? Honestly, it's probably a good thing. I've got another 11 days of pitching eggs since I medicated. I just hope it isn't a potential health issue.

Either way, I'm going to leave the doors of the coop open during the day this weekend, hoping to remove the cozy factor from the coop. It's going to only be in the 60's, so having a refuge from the heat won't be an issue.

Anyone else see production absolutely plummet for a broody hen?
Broody hens stop laying when they go broody.
ither way, I'm going to leave the doors of the coop open during the day this weekend, hoping to remove the cozy factor from the coop. It's going to only be in the 60's, so having a refuge from the heat won't be an issue.
This is highly unlikely to work.
She needs to be removed from the nest and put in an elevated wire crate with food and water and a piece of 2x4 or other flat wood that she can stand on. I keep my crates in the predator proof run near the feeders and lots of activity. If it's hot, the gals get a cool water belly dunk and then put back in the crate. I leave ones that are "dug right in broody" in the crate for 3 full days and 2 nights. At the end of the third day, I let them out about 1 or 2 hours before roost time. If I find her in the nest box at lock up/head count, she is removed and place back in the crate for another night and day then I try again the next evening.

This is highly unlikely to work.
Yep.
Break out the breaker crate!
1622293635320.png

Ditto the above advice. Broody jail for 3 days and nights here, then it’s back to normal....and the sooner she is back to normal, the sooner she will resume laying eggs.
561C4DD7-A6D6-4FDB-9633-BD7239A083A7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom