UGH! They are trying to eat wild mushrooms!!!!

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Help! I thought free ranging was the best for them, so dh built me a wonderful door off the run to let them free range supervised. I'm watching them and they go through the yard looking for wild mushrooms! I catch most of them and I'm able to chuck the mushroom into the woods. Sometimes the mushrooms go right down the hatch! I have a very big yard, so finding every mushroom before they head out seems to be an impossible task! These darn things appear every morning!

Will the mushrooms kill my girls? Are they that poisonous? My d'uccle found the cutest little mini mushroom just her size. Luckily, I grabbed it quick.

I live in Central Florida, so during the summer we have lots of rain and humid weather which means mushrooms everywhere. I have had my chickens free ranging in my backyard for the past two years and they have always eaten mushrooms with no problems. There are also many different mushrooms growing in the compost area that they eat also, again with no problems. I have to assume that they know what to eat, or not eat.

I have beautiful Passion Flower vines on my fence that are ravaged by caterpillers every summer. The silly chickens's won't even pick one of them up...and they eat every other type caterpiller or worm that they find.

Whew! Thank you. My hubby and I were very worried.

I've noticed the thousands and thousands of mushrooms growing on the compost.
lau.gif
. My chickens are not allowed back there in the woods. There's way too many Mosquitos and who knows what else is in the woods that will eat my girls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom