Ugh, tough chicken! I didn’t know to let the meat rest.

We just cut up raw chicken into peices, & cook it right in the jar for storage. When we want soup, we just grab a jar, & add it to the pot. Nice thing about canned chicken, is you can add spices to it
Ditto that.

Those older birds make the very best soup (or gumbo). Cut, put in jars, and pressure can, and enjoy. The other thing we like to do is grind the meat down for sausage.

If your water was boiling thats why it was tough water should be 150. Ive frozen right away and eat they day it thawed and never was tough. I will say old birds do tend to be chewy even slowcooking them they are flavorless lol

Ditto that.

Those older birds make the very best soup (or gumbo). Cut, put in jars, and pressure can, and enjoy. The other thing we like to do is grind the meat down for sausage.
We've never tried the sausage option, not quite sure why. It's always been soup for us.

We just cut up raw chicken into peices, & cook it right in the jar for storage. When we want soup, we just grab a jar, & add it to the pot. Nice thing about canned chicken, is you can add spices to it.

Makes a 6-8yr old chicken melt in your mouth, also has the best flavor.
That’s so great! I met a guy at a market who said that some of his favorite meals where those that had canned (old) chicken.

So, let me ask this silly question, do you actually cook it in the jar or am I misinterpreting that? I’m eager to know the best way to can chicken.

Thank you!

Yes, you absolutely CAN rest post freeze with adequate results. I've done it many times, and none of my birds (ok, almost none) are under the 4 month mark. Some are older than a year at butcher.

Long slow moist heat methods work best. I use a crockpot with very little water, actually - just enough to keep the bird from sticking to the bottom. You can also use your rest period as you defrost the bird to impart flavors with a MILDLY acidic marinade based on yogurt or buttermilk, whose enzymes can also provide some tenderizing. Strongly acidic marinade (i.e. Cuban-style marinades like Mojo, or really any bitter orange, lime, or vinegar-based marinade) are all designed for quick treatment of thinly prepared meats and a rapid, high heat preparation (i.e. grilling). In a long soak, they will destroy cell walls, leaving a gritty, dry texture even worse than your just completed baking experience.

Crock the bird in little moisture, shred and/or slice, then incorporate strong flavors and fattiness to give the impression of greater tenderness. BarBQ sauce works well for this. Cream sauces (with lemon and capers? yum), Curries (see yogurt above), Doro Wat and highly spiced "chilis". Tacos, Etc...

Old birds also make great sausage (though their fat does not). If a sausage recipe is designed for pork, it will work well with old chicken.
Thank you so much for all the feedback and tips! I took a screenshot of your comment for reference. Hope has been restored! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom