1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ughh! Bell's Palsy

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Slinkytoys, May 3, 2011.

1. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Woke up with the right side of my face drooping. Seems it is more common than people have thought. I didnt realize how much it hurts!!! The facial nerve branches from the ear/jaw, up onto the head. Nerve pain hurts.
    My right eye can't close properly so I will have to make sure the eyeball doesn't dry out. Can't work the right side of my mouth so I can't even suck on a straw and food tastes funny.
    Am feeling very sorry for myself, can you tell?
    Slinky

2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    What a terrible thing to have to go through. The blessing here is that it does go away. I would think it would seem like it is taking forever. Had a friend who had it several years ago.

So sorry you have to go through this!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh no! How does that happen?? Why arent you in the hospital?

5. Slinkytoys

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Yeah, it's not much fun. I'm thankful that I don't have to go out in public for a while. I look kinda funny. Not as severe as a stroke, but my speech is a little off too. I've known others to have it, guess it hits differently. I just didn't realize it could HURT! Hoping that will stop in a few days. I haven't gone to a doctor since it doesn't seem like they can do much more than give me prednisone. Sigh.....
    Thanks for the hug.
    Slinky

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    DH had that when he had Lyme Disease - people thought he had had a stroke

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My husband had bells palsy years ago and his doc said it would go away on it's own and didn't treat him for it.
    It didn't go away. After 35 years, he still has trouble swallowing and eating. And he still looks like he had a stroke.

Our daughter had it late in her pregnancy. She was treated with prednisone and it is barely noticeable after a year.

Please get treated for it.

8. Slinkytoys

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Did they know why he had it? I don't carry the Herpes Simplex virus (have never even had a cold sore), no AIDS, no Lymes. I have been under a lot of stress. Am worried about taking the pred. as I do have Fibromyalgia. According to the websites, it seems that no therapy does as much good as drugs. I have a 7 day window to decide.
    Slinky

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Hugs and [​IMG] best wishes that this all goes away and your life gets back to normal [​IMG]

10. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    Quote:can chickens get LD? or are they immune like deer are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by