UGLY chicken toy

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I was making some more nest boxes today and while i was digging for wood i saw an old tire i had moved last week when cleaning outside. I decided to think up a way to use it, since i don't know where to get rid of it. I am thinking the ducks might use it more for sleeping under than the chickens will for sleeping on, lol. we'll see....

GEDC1317.JPG

GEDC1323.JPG

It's warm outside right now but I am hoping when the weather cools down it'll make for a warm resting spot for the birds.. (sucking the warmth from the sun/air into the tire rubber)

Totally hideous but at least the fence keeps people from seeing it!
lol.png

Last edited:
hmmm, never thought about that...my boys have left a few tires here since they grew up & moved out. Looks like I'll be expanding on your idea!

lol that is really cool. i think i might do something similar for my girls as i dont seem to be able to buy any good chicken toys locally and i dont want my girls to be bored in the winter when they cant free range much

Tires would make a great container for dust baths - I am reading that Peat Moss is a chicken favorite.

The farm chickens where I live have quite interesting perches and houses made from various "stuff". Their run looks quite interesting, and they seem to use all their "stuff".

My chickens seem to be drawn to whatever part of my yard looks junkiest - presently building materials. Unlike my ducks, they gravitate to new junk.

When I was a kid, I would often see those cute granny houses with lots of flowers and lawn ornaments, and many people had huge tractor tires that they painted fun colors to make into flower bed containers.

bun.gif

Friends of ours put the large water bowl in the center of the tire so the chickens don't tip it over.

Anyone remember when people used to scallop the tire and turn it inside out for a planter? Maybe you can do that for a dust bath area???

Quote:
36435_squashtrellis.jpg

The sidewall facing down has been cut out, then the tire was filled with compost. The cage is made out of concrete remesh and then I planted tomatoes and squash. I wrap a smaller mesh around to keep the chickens out of the plant, they naturally prune any parts that hang down or out. The tomatoes ripen and drop down to feed the chickens and the squash is something they also love when it's broken open for them. The chickens like hanging out under the shade.

Back
Top Bottom