Uh Oh. Beginnings of rooster aggression?

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
So my banty roo (19 weeks old) pecked me on the back of the leg yesterday. I was working on the coop while the chickens free-ranged. He stayed near me while the others wandered and crowed at me the whole time. He also was upset with me when I shooed some of them out of the new coop so I could work. I assume he is moving into the role of flock protector.
My question is- I know I should pick him up when he gets aggressive, but I can't catch the little sucker. When he pecked me I chased him around the yard for a bit, stomping towards him and making the occasional grab. He stayed about 5' in front of me and muttered to himself the whole time. I was fussing right back at him. Is that enough to establish that I am the alpha?

I have two roosters, a bantum mille fleur and a standard buff orp. Both will run away when I walk towards them. Neither of them is easy to catch to pick up. I do periodically pick them after they've gone to roost. That's about the only way I can get my hands on them. What else should I be doing to be dominant roo around here? I want to nip this behavior in the bud.

( I read Rooster-Red's page on roosters and his suggestions involve actually being able to catch the roos. Mine seem to be really quick!)

Back
Top Bottom