Uh oh... found an egg today! ... - A journal of sorts, from finding eggs to hatching them... Update

Try this Breeders List , they have quite a few listings for Tx that breed lots of colors. Maybe one of them is close to you, or will ship.

ETA... Yes your Guinea Hen can hatch out some hybrids. They are rare, and usually don't live as long as normal poultry breeds tho. And of course they are sterile. But if she hatches a whole clutch you could sell them and pay for new keets or eggs!
cool.png

Thanks, the hunt is ON! Maybe DH will like the colors enough to not have a COW when they hatch out guineas
wink.png
, he loves babies. Lol

Awwww, my little Turkey Girl laid an egg yesterday. Poor girl doesn't even have a boyfriend, lol... unless one of the Guinea boys is sweet on her. I don't think male Guineas are equipped well enough to breed a Turkey Hen tho
lau.gif
... but I'm not sure. (Not gonna check either, lmao!). I popped the egg in the incubator just for chits and giggles
wink.png

(She was preening, all fluffed up with her head buried in her feathers, and I called her... huh?? what??)
So ugly she's pretty!

Last edited:
She's a beautiful girl. The old maids are alittle sad tho, do you have wid turkeys in your area? We have wild turkeys that sometimes come to the fenceline to talk to our turkeys. I have never seen them on our side of the fence and our guys are too heavy to go over there. Hearing my one guinea girl Buckwheat with no one to answer her is sad, but she will have a flock later this year.

There are lots of Wild Turkeys in my area, but I have not seen them come thru here in a couple years since my 10+ acres is now perimeter fenced. She thinks she is a Guinea tho, since she was hatched and raised with her flock. She stays close to them always, never has chosen to fly over the fence and leave. She's actually from a nest of eggs that a Wild Turkey Hen shared with my friend's Porcelain Guinea Hen 3 seasons ago... my friend had to break up the nest because her Guinea Hen went broody on them, so she gave me all the eggs. It was either eat them or incubate them... glad I incubated them! Eventually I'll get her a boyfriend...

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It wasn't an egg that went bad but the incubator. Hard boiled the entire batch of eggs. Obviously, this doesn't happen very often but still not sure it's something I'm willing to risk--especially given how inexpensive used hovabators are compared to a trustworthy cabinet!

Fluffy i candle mine before i put them in the bater, then at 2 weeks and then again at lock down and i have never had a rotten egg blow up in the bater,.
I use GOF cabinet bators exclusively now and never open it till i candle I have a 90 percent hatch rate.
Good luck on your hatch

Peeps, your story about how your turkey came to be is hilarious! And she is lovely...in her own unique way! lol

Hatched another of my normal looking (reddish) Chocolate keets this morning
yesss.gif

Last edited:
These little reddish Chocolate keets mature to look like this (the 2 outer Hens, the Hen in the middle is a Brown):

Totally gorgeous--as keets and adults! I can't wait. :D We are now getting fix to six eggs a day, so pretty much all our females are laying. Our pied keeps trying to go broody on the nest (even though we collect all the eggs every day) so I go get her each night and bring her back to the coop. So far, she hasn't managed to take my fingers off, but not for lack of trying!

Back
Top Bottom